ARUNDEL GATE: Everything on tower block concerns we know so far
With a major road in Sheffield city centre closed this morning because of safety concerns around the cladding on a tower block, here is what we know so far:
- Concerns about the safety of the cladding on the outside walls of the St Paul's City Lofts development on Arundel Gate were raised last night.
COURT: South Yorkshire man accused of sex offences tells juryÂ he had sex with girls but '˜never knew' they were underageÂ - It is understood that aÂ panel on the 31stÂ floor of the luxury apartment block became loose during high winds.
- Sheffield Council said that although none of the cladding panels fell from the building a safety cordon was put in place around the base of the tower.
- Arundel Gate '“Â a major bus route '“Â has been closed to traffic since last night from its junction with Furnival Gate.
- Buses have been diverted to avoid the road block.
- TrafficÂ is being diverted from Furnival Gate back to the ring road and along Commercial Street and High Street.
Sign up to our daily newsletter
- SheffieldÂ Council said the incident is causing '˜unavoidable delays to traffic in the city centre'.
- Specialist contractors have started abseiling down the building to secure the loose panel and to check the condition of the rest.
'“Â St Paul's tower is the tallest building in Sheffield, sitting at 101 metres. It is 23 metres taller than the University of Sheffield'sÂ Â Arts Tower but is approximately 45 metres closer to sea level, which is why itÂ looks smaller. Â
- The tower formsÂ part of St Paul's Place development, which includes theÂ Q-Park multi-storey car park and Genting Club casino and office blocks.
-Â It wasÂ completed and declared habitableÂ in August 2010.
- The 32-storey tower is mostly made of glass, sandstone and bronze and has a roof terrace. It houses a total of 316 apartments and has one floor of retail space.
- Construction on the Â£40 million building started in May 2006.
- The luxury apartment building will be surpassed as Sheffield's tallest building onceÂ the Velocity Tower beside St Mary's Gate roundaboutÂ is completed in 2019.