Over the last few decades, the Steel City has earned a reputation for its brilliant boozers and breweries; and more recently, for the community of micro pubs selling some of the country’s best – and most potent – ales.
But some of the city’s most popular pubs, such as The Closed Shop, Cremorne and Brown Bear date back much further, and have been serving the people of Sheffield for more than a century.
Many of their names reflect the time in which they were established.
Here, we take you through the etymology of some of the more unusual monikers.
Please contact me at [email protected] if you have any suggestions for pubs that are not included on this list but should be.
In these confusing and worrying times, local journalism is more vital than ever. Thanks to everyone who helps us ask the questions that matter by taking out a digital subscription or buying a paper. We stand together. Nancy Fielder, editor.
1. The Closed Shop
There are two explaintions for how The Closed Shop in Commonside got its name. The first suggests it became called that as a swipe at the bureaucratic licensing laws that led to it being forced to close when an oversight led to the license not being renewed on time. And the second asserts that it was given the name in the 19th century after the owner of what was then a general shop on the premises noticed that some of the customers would sometimes sit on sacks stacked inside, drinking the ale they had just purchased. This led to the owner believing they would be able to make more money if they operated as a pub instead, and closed the shop.
Photo: Steve Ellis
2. The Cremorne
The London Road boozer dates back to the 19th century and is believed to have been named after a famous racehorse which won the Derby in 1872. Picture: Marie Caley
Photo: Marie Caley
3. The Bessemer
Located on Leopold Street, The Bessemer was named after Henry Bessemer who was an inventor and became an integral figure in Sheffield's steel industry after moving to the city in 1858. Picture: Google
4. Old Queens Head
Built in 1475, the Old Queens Head is Sheffield's oldest pub and its current name is believed to refer to Mary Queen of Scots who was imprisoned in Sheffield from 1570 to 1584. Picture: Dean Atkins
Photo: Dean Atkins