Tramlines festival in Sheffield 'set to go ahead as pilot event'
Sheffield’s Tramlines festival is reportedly set to go ahead next month as one of the Government’s pilot events.
The popular event is scheduled to take place from July 23-25 at Hillsborough Park, with The Streets, Royal Blood and Richard Ashcroft headlining.
There were fears it would have to be cancelled for a second year running after the Government pushed back so-called Freedom Day, the date on which all remaining legal restrictions are set to be lifted, to July 19 – just a few days beforehand.
But it has now been reported that Tramlines will go ahead as part of the Government’s Events Research Programme (ERP) pilot scheme, after organisers of the Kendal Calling festival pulled out this week.
Access All Areas said it had been told by unnamed sources that the future of this year’s Tramlines festival had been secured by it becoming part of the programme.
The Star has contacted both Tramlines and the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport asking them to confirm the report, but neither has responded.
Tramlines issued an update earlier this month, before Boris Johnson announced the delay to Freedom Day, saying that it would need a few days to ‘digest the guidance to see how it affects our plans’.
Organisers told ticket-holders at the time: “As always, our main priority is the safety of our festival-goers, artists and staff. We’ll be working with the local authorities and following all the latest government guidance. If we aren’t able to go ahead, all ticket holders will be able to rollover to Tramlines 2022 or given the opportunity to claim a refund.