Murder trial of former Sheffield Wednesday striker - jury hears details of tragic Dalian Atkinson death

Dalian Atkinson’s tragic passing in 2016 came after being tasered and kicked in the head by an ‘angry’ police officer, a jury heard.
Former Sheffield Wednesday attacker, Dalian Atkinson, was tragically tasered and killed in 2016.Former Sheffield Wednesday attacker, Dalian Atkinson, was tragically tasered and killed in 2016.
Former Sheffield Wednesday attacker, Dalian Atkinson, was tragically tasered and killed in 2016.

PC Benjamin Monk, who allegedly tasered the former Sheffield Wednesday attacker for 33 seconds – six times longer than the five-second phase, and twice kicked him in the head on August 15th 2016, denies murder and manslaughter following the incident in Telford, Shropshire,.

Meanwhile, PC Mary Ellen Bettley-Smith, has been charged with assault causing actual bodily harm - which she has also denied -after allegedly striking the Atkinson with a baton whilst on the ground.

Read More
Critical week as Sheffield Wednesday start to make contract decisions
Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A jury at Birmingham’s crown court was told by Alexandra Healy QC that after being tasered, PC Monk ‘also proceeded to kick Dalian Atkinson’, adding that ‘at least two kicks were delivered by him to Dalian Atkinson’s forehead with enough force to leave the imprints of the pattern of the laces from the top of his boot on two separate areas of Mr Atkinson’s forehead.’

Healy went on to say, “A number of neighbours living in Meadow Close witnessed this attack. Their view was that once Dalian Atkinson had fallen to the ground he was unresponsive and still. He was no longer posing any threat to the officers. Nonetheless the two officers set about him.”

It was also explained that Atkinson had underlying health problems, and while his ‘disturbed and erratic way’ suggested ‘they were entitled to use reasonable force to defend themselves or to protect another’, it was the acts that followed that were unlawful.

Healy said, ‘The prosecution do not criticise their conduct prior to the discharge of the third Taser cartridge’, but went on to explain that Monk was ‘no doubt angry that he had been put in fear by this man’.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Atkinson spent the 1989/90 season with the Owls where he formed a fine partnership with David Hirst, however left for Real Sociedad after they were relegated in his one and only season in blue and white.

He went on to play for the likes of Aston Villa, Fenerbahce and Manchester City amongst others.

The trial continues, and is expected to run into June.

More Owls news

Thank you for reading this article, one of dozens we publish every single day to provide you with the best, most up-to-date and most informative coverage of YOUR club. This depth of coverage costs, so to help us maintain the high-quality reporting that you are used to from the football team at The Star, please consider taking out a subscription to our new discounted sports-only package. You'll find all the details at

Your support is much appreciated.