The 30-year-old defender has played 70 games for the Owls since making the switch from Arminia Bielefeld in 2019, but has had quite a turbulent time at Hillsborough as he endured some real peaks and troughs in terms of his form in blue and white.
Reports started to surface earlier this month that he could well be on the verge of heading back to the 2. Bundesliga for the 2021/22 campaign, and a few days ago it was said that Hannover were waiting on clearance from the Owls in order to get the deal done.
Now, with the start of preseason just a couple of weeks away, Sportbuzzer say that they are expecting Börner’s move to be sorted by next Monday, with just some ‘formalities’ to be sorted out in order for him to begin training with Kenan Kocak’s when they return to work.
The website has stated that – as things stand – Hannover have done all that is required from their side, and are now effectively just waiting on Wednesday to sign off on the deal in order for it to be completed.
Bild said recently that the move was expected to go through without a transfer fee, despite the fact that Börner still has a year left on his current deal at Hillsborough, something that would make sense for the Owls if they are trying to cut down a wage bill even further on the back of a financially tough 18 months.
Joost van Aken (Zulte Waragem) and Jordan Rhodes (Huddersfield Town) have already finalised their next moves on the back of their Wednesday exits, while Isaac Rice is reportedly closing in on a move to Dunfermline Athletic.
In terms of incomings, Wednesday have been linked with a number of players in recent weeks, however need to sort out the issues regarding unpaid wages and their reported embargo before much progress can be made on that front by Darren Moore and his recruitment team.