Doubts increase that Sheffield Wednesday loanee will finish season at Hillsborough

The make-up of Sheffield Wednesday’s squad in the latter parts of this season is far from certain.

Saturday, 6th June 2020, 12:30 pm

Three Charlton Athletic players have pulled out of completing the season – and the final weeks of their contracts – due to concerns injury could impact their immediate football future.

Owls boss Garry Monk reiterated this week that he had not heard similar concerns from any of his players, five of whom are facing the end of their contracts at the end of this month.

The situation surrounding loanees is less clear. A tweak in FIFA rules allows loan contracts to be extended in order for players to complete the season with their current club – but only with the agreeance of all three parties – current club, parent club and player.

Sign up to our Sheffield Wednesday newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Sheffield Wednesday boss Garry Monk will not seek to extend the stay of David Bates, according to reports in Germany.

Reports in Germany suggest one player – Hamburg-owned defender David Bates – will remain surplus to requirements at Hillsborough and will not have his stay extended.

Bates, a Scottish international who arrived on deadline day in the summer, has been frozen out by Monk and is understood to have been training with the club’s under-23 side for much of the season.

He has played only one first-team game this season, under Lee Bullen in an EFL Cup win at Rotherham back in August.

Asked about the process with their five loan players – Jacob Murphy, Connor Wickham, Alessio Da Cruz and Josh Windass are also on temporary deals – Monk said clarity would be sought this week on whether their parent clubs would allow them to stay.

A reasonable performance in an EFL Cup tie at Rotherham hasn't been enough to see David Bates given another go in a Sheffield Wednesday shirt.

“At this moment in time we’re trying to speak to clubs and seeing if that’s even possible at this moment,” he said. “More so now in terms of the speed of it with the announcement [of a June 20 return date] - so that’s something that’s happening over yesterday and today, and hopefully we have some news on that in the next 48 hours.

“That’s something that will need to happen to help us.”

When last asked about Bates earlier this year he said: “You have to make these decisions. Some players are involved and some players are in and out of squads. These are the decisions that I have to make.”

MORE READING FROM OUR WEDNESDAY WRITING TEAM:

An important message:

In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news, please consider a subscription to The Star by going to thestar.co.uk/subscriptions.

The coronavirus lockdown is having a major impact on many of our local advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive. That means we are more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news and information.

Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards in the world. But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers and subscribe to our website during this crisis.

Stay safe and take care.

Thank you, Alex.