Norwood, the former Northern Ireland midfielder, had started negotiating an extension to his present deal before the game entered lockdown in March.
Although Wilder quickly called a halt to those discussions, arguing it “would not be a good look” to be improving players’ terms and conditions while millions of workers in other industries were being furloughed, Norwood has confirmed he expects talks to be concluded as soon as the manager gives the green light.
“I’m sure there’ll be a resolution soon, because the gaffer and the club know how I feel about this place.
“I don’t want to go anywhere else. Why would I want to go anywhere else?
“These things always take a bit of time. But we were talking and that’s the most important thing. I’m sure everyone will see what happens soon.”
Norwood, aged 29, has been one of United’s most consistent performers this season - helping them climb to seventh in the table and reach the quarter-finals of the FA Cup before the fixture schedule was suspended because of the coronavirus crisis.
With the health crisis now easing, Wilder’s squad were informed earlier this week that they will resume competition on June 17. With restrictions across the country also being relaxed, United are also preparing to lift their self-imposed ban on awarding new contracts.
John Lundstram, John Egan and Chris Basham were among those also poised to extend their stays in South Yorkshire when the pandemic struck, after John Fleck and Enda Stevens put pen to paper on fresh agreements earlier this term.
“You’ll see, with the contract, pretty soon I’m sure,” Norwood, previously of Manchester United and Brighton, said. “I’m sure it’ll get done soon. Like I say, the club have asked me and I’ve told the club how I feel, about my thoughts on the matter, too.
“I love it here and we’ve got so much to play for.”