Young Sheffield Wednesday XI hit five past Worksop Town

Worksop Town were handed the heaviest defeat of pre-season so far by a youthful Sheffield Wednesday side.

Friday, 15th July 2016, 9:22 pm
Updated Friday, 15th July 2016, 9:29 pm
Alex Nightingale

The Owls XI, mostly Under 21s, were 5-0 victors at Sandy Lane after an impressive display.

Wednesday controlled the game, the hosts struggling to contain them at times and only rarely crossing the halfway line themselves.

The young Owls had the lion’s share of the early possession, but were unable to fashion anything clearcut until the 20th minute, when Jack Stobbs curled a 25-yard free-kick over the wall and forced a full length save from Ryan Graves.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Wednesday came close again a minute later when James Murphy blasted just wide with a thunderbolt from distance.

The visitors were in full control as the half developed, giving Scott Wesely in the Worksop midfield a chance to showcase his physicality, albeit too strongly for the referee’s liking at times.

With 10 minutes to go in the half a cross from the right by Stobbs, to the back post, was met by Warren Clarke who headed in the opener.

Following the goal Worksop had their first effort on goal, Matt Booth’s header giving Adam Scott the chance to run down the left before cutting in and sending a shot goalwards, Dan Wallis saving comfortably.

But before the interval the Owls took a 2-0 lead, a low ball into the six yard area knocked past Graves by Pedro Matos.

Tigers were desperately unlucky not to close the gap in the final minute of the half, a dangerous free-kick into the area causing problems for Wednesday, Booth seeing his goalbound shot blocked by his own player.

Wednesday maded several changes at the break, while their hosts simply sent on Mitch Husbands for Wesley.

The half was just three minutes old when the Owls increased their lead, substitute Jordan Hayford finding the net with a low 25-yarder.

In possession Worksop were their own worst enemy, surrendering the ball too easily and giving Wednesday chances to attack.

The young Championship hopefuls didn’t need a second invitation either, putting more pressure on Tigers and scoring a fourth through Rui Baltalha who picked up a loose ball in the box and slotted past Graves.

The post came to Worksop’s rescue on 74 minutes when Joe Walker curled a lovely shot past Graves, but with the keeper out of the picture, Devante Rodney simply rolled the rebound into the empty net.

There was a late flurry to encourage the home supporters, Worksop winning a corner that found Ross Henshaw, the big defender having two efforts cleared off the line and one off the bar in a frenetic few seconds.

Worksop: Graves (Birch 89), Hodder, Waddle (C. Johnson 67), Adams (Dacre 74), Henshaw, Pugh (Parkin 67), Trialist (Hawkins 61), Harrison (Nightingale 61), Booth (Jordan 55), Scott (Woolley 61), Wesley (Husbands 46). Not used: Fereday, Trialist.

Sheffield Wednesday XI: Dan Wallis, Jon Centeno (Elliott Percival 46), Matt Penney, James Murphy, Connor O’Grady (Darryl Lachman 46), Jack Lee (Jordan Thorniley 46), Jack Stobbs (Rui Baltalha 46), Sean Clare (Joe Walker 73), George Hirst (Devante Rodney 46), Pedro Matos (Jordan Hayford 46), Warren Clarke (Connor Kirby 67).

Goalscorers: Clarke 35, Matos 40, Hayford 48, Baltalha 67, Rodney 74

Attendance: 530.