Sheffield residents allowed to return home as suspected WWII bomb turns out to be ‘1900 fire hydrant’

Residents in a Sheffield suburb are finally allowed to return to their homes after the police have confirmed that the object found was not an explosive World War II device.

Wednesday, 2nd December 2020, 5:57 pm

At 8.55am on Wednesday (December 2), a bomb disposal team was deployed to a property on Ashleigh Avenue, Arbourthorne after receiving reports that a suspected World War II bomb was discovered in a garden.

The road was subsequently blocked off and a huge cordon was put in place as the people were advised to avoid the area.

South Yorkshire Police, in a statement said: “Those evacuated will be returning to their homes. Thank you for everyone's patience.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Police were called at around 8.55am this morning to reports that a suspected WW2 explosive device had been discovered in the garden of a property on Ashleigh Avenue in Sheffield, close to Ridgeway Road. Picture: Chris Etchells

Welcoming the good news, Councillor Ben Miskell said the device seems to have been a fire hydrant from 1900, as its ‘fins’ looked similar to that of a World War II explosion device.

He said: “I understand that the police and bomb squad have now stood the incident down after confirmation that it was not a bomb.

"It seems to have been a 1900 fire hydrant, which caused some confusion as it does look like the ‘fins’ of a World War II bomb. Understandably, a cautious approach was taken.

"It is wonderful news that this incident has been resolved and that residents will be able to sleep in their own beds this evening.

"The council was standing ready to provide emergency accommodation, including hotels for 32 households, which is an enormous effort in the middle of a pandemic.

"On behalf of the community, I want to thank them and the teams of police officers and military personnel for their hard work in keeping us all safe.”