ON THIS DAY: 1982: Doncaster's third and final Falklands War victim is killed

The Falkands War of 1982 claimed the lives of three Doncaster men in just two short months.

Thursday, 26th May 2016, 3:56 pm
Updated Thursday, 26th May 2016, 4:03 pm
Wheatley sailor Tony Sillence.

It was on June 12, 1982 that Doncaster mourned the loss of its third and final victim of the brief but bloody conflict with Argentina when Wheatley sailor Anthony Sillence was killed in the South Atlantic.

Leading Cook Anthony, known as Tony, died just a few days before the Argentine surrender on June 14 when his ship, HMS Glamorgan was hit by an Exocet missile fired from the shore.

HMS Glamorgan before the attack.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Anthony, 26, was one of 13 men killed early in the morning of June 12 when the ship was blasted, causing a huge fire which spread through the decks.

However, the Glamorgan survived the attack and continued in service until 1986 before being sold to the Chilean Navy where she served for a further 12 years before sinking while under tow to be broken up.

Anthony, of Clifton Crescent, Wheatley Hills and a former Armthorpe High School pupil with a three-year-old daughter, had joined the Navy as a chef to follow his two main interests - cooking and travel.

He is buried at the San Carlos War Cemetery in the Falkland Islands. In 2011, a memorial to Glamorgan and her crew was unveiled at Hookers Point outside Port Stanley.

HMS Glamorgan after the missile attack on June 12, 1982.

Two other Doncaster men also died during the conflict.

Hatfield-born Capt Ian North, 57, skipper of Merchant Navy cargo ship Atlantic Conveyor died on May 25, 1982 after the ship was hit by two Exocet missiles while Edlington Para Private Stephen Illingsworth was just 20 years old when he was shot by an Argentine sniper during the recapture of Goose Green on May 28.

Britain suffered 258 casulaties with 649 Argentines killed in the fighting.

HMS Glamorgan before the attack.
HMS Glamorgan after the missile attack on June 12, 1982.