Edward Street fire Upperthorpe: Flats complex evacuated after blaze breaks out

A Sheffield block of flats had to be evacuated in the early hours after a fire broke out in the building.
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service sent crews from three of its fire stations to the accommodation block on Edward Street, near Upperthorpe, after it received an emergency call at 12.30am on Sunday morning.

A spokesman for the fire service told The Star that the security team on site in the flats helped residents evacuate the property once the alarm had been raised. They are believed to have been out of the building by the time firefighters arrived to deal with the incident.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Firefighters from Central, Rivelin and Elm Lane fire stations were sent to the fire. The spokesman added: “The fire is believed to have started accidentally in a bathroom. The crews left the scene at 2.15am.”

He added there were no injuries recorded as a result of the fire.