Twin brothers deny murder after Sheffield man died of a stab wound following alleged dispute

Twin brothers have denied murder after a man suffered a fatal stab wound following an alleged escalating dispute during New Year’s Eve.

Wednesday, 9th December 2020, 12:25 pm

A Sheffield Crown Court trial heard on Tuesday, December 8, how Isaac and Jacob Mwanza, both aged 19, of Rother View Road, Canklow, Rotherham, allegedly murdered Isaiah Usen-Satchell in the Norfolk Park area of Sheffield after violence had reportedly flared on St Aidan’s Road close to the deceased’s home in Norfolk Park.

Kama Melly, prosecutng, said: “On the night of New Year’s Eve in the city of Sheffield two groups of men, one containing the deceased Isaiah Usen-Satchell, and one containing the two defendants involved themselves in a dispute involving a number of incidents that night.

"And it culminated in the defendants attending Isaiah’s home in the early hours of that morning.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Pictured is Isaiah Usen-Satchell who was allegedly murdered in Sheffield on New Year's Day.

Ms Melly added Mr Usen-Satchell had been faced with the prospect of a group attending his home and had armed himself with a blade that would be used to end his life.

She claimed it was the defendants who got the better of Mr Usen-Satchell and she claimed that acting together they caused a deep and severe wound to his arm causing severe blood loss that led to his death.

The court heard Isaac Mwanza’s girlfriend had previously been in a brief relationship with Mr Usen-Satchell and a dispute had developed between the two men.

Ms Melly said initially the dispute involved abusive texts and at one point there was a physical confrontation and there was another occasion when they had squared up to each other.

Pictured is Sheffield Crown Court.

She claimed during New Year’s Eve tensions between the two men and their friends were rising as indicated by texts and their movements which were captured on CCTV and after Jacob Mwanza’s Audi vehicle had been damaged.

Ms Melly said attempts were being made to meet with Mr Usen-Satchell and he had been captured on CCTV leaning into the driver’ side window of the Audi at about 1am.

She claimed there were subsequent incidents with an attack on Mr Usen-Satchell’s home and to a vehicle at the property after the twins and another male were seen on CCTV, and at around 2am Mr Usen-Satchell allegedly attacked a car outside Isaac Mwanza’s girlfriend’s home.

Ms Melly said in the aftermath Isaac and Jacob Mwanza and another male returned to the deceased’s neighbourhood before returning to the city centre.

But the defendants and others returned again to Mr Usen-Satchell’s neighbourhood about 4am before Mr Usen-Satchell was described as jumping out of a bush armed with a blade and two of a group of four fled leaving Isaac and Jacob Mwanza, according to Ms Melly.

Ms Melly said the twins moved away and as Mr Usen-Satchell fell she claims they closed in on him and pursued him.

She added: “The defendants who could have left the scene returned towards Isaiah and what happens thereafter is not lawful self-defence by either defendant because Isaiah is on the floor and Isaac and Jacob appear to close him down.”

The defendants, who have pleaded not guilty to murder, claim they acted in self-defence and had wanted to disarm the deceased who they claim injured himself during a struggle, according to Ms Melly.

The trial continues.

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to The Star website and enjoy unlimited access to local news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content.

Visit https://www.thestar.co.uk/subscriptions now to sign up.

Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.

Thank you

Nancy Fielder, editor