'Please talk to us': Top cop issues plea after spate of shootings in Sheffield

The detective responsible for tackling armed criminality in South Yorkshire is urging those with information to come forward after a spate of shootings.

Sunday, 7th June 2020, 10:26 am
Updated Sunday, 7th June 2020, 10:26 am

Investigations are under way into seven shootings in Sheffield last month, with organised criminality believed to be ‘fuelling such violent incidents’.

In one 24-hour period alone, on Friday, May 8, there were four shootings in the city.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Detective Chief Inspector Jamie Henderson

Four men were hospitalised, two homes were damaged and two cars were hit in the gun attacks.

In the first incident, on Grimesthorpe Road, Burngreave, three men were wounded when a gun was fired at a group stood together in the street.

Two hours later another man was injured when a gun was fired at a flat on Club Garden Road, Sharrow.

Later that day two rival groups opened fire at each other in Machon Bank, Nether Edge, damaging a house and two cars.

Thirty minutes later a gun was fired at a house on nearby Union Road.

One man has been charged in connection with the Machon Bank incident.

On Thursday, May 14, a gun was fired in Farish Place, Heeley, and a parked car and road-sign were hit.

Over the bank holiday weekend at the end of May there were another two shootings.

On Sunday, May 24, shots were fired at a house on Fishponds Road, Woodthorpe, and the following day a gun was fired at a house and parked car on Myrtle Road, Heeley.

Detective Chief Inspector Jamie Henderson urged those with information to come forward.

“I do have a plea to anyone who knows who is responsible, or who has any information – please talk to us,” he said.

“To tackle these issues most successfully, we need you to work with us.

“I appreciate that it might be easier said than done to speak to the police, but it’s vital that you do.”

He said ‘dedicated teams of officers’ are working to identify those responsible and efforts to disrupt organised criminality will continue.

“We are continuing to carry out proactive operations linked to these investigations, including warrants at various addresses, with the aim of disrupting the organised criminality that we believe is fuelling such violent incidents,” he added.

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to The Star website and enjoy unlimited access to local news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content.

Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.

Thank you

Nancy Fielder, editor