Follow this blog for all the latest national and regional news on coronavirus as the PM chairs cabinet at 1.30 this afternoon to discuss new measures to fight the pandemic.
Coronavirus in Sheffield LIVE: PM to make new coronavirus lockdown announcement this afternoon
Last updated: Saturday, 31 October, 2020, 19:57
- Reports in the national press suggest a new UK-wide lockdown is imminent.
- PM to chair cabinet at 1.30 today with new announcement planned this afternoon.
- Cases and deaths are rising with 100,000 reported to be catching virus every day.
- New national lockdowns have already been imposed in Belgium and France.
The new rules in full
- From Thursday you must stay at home.
- You can only leave home for specific reasons including: for education; for work if you cannot work from home; for exercise and recreation outdoors, for medical reasons, appointments and to escape injury or harm; to shop for food and essentials and to provide care for vulnerable or as a volunteer.
- Non essential shops, leisure and entertainment venues will be closed
- Click and collect services can continue and essential shops will remain open
- Pubs, bars and restaurants must close except for takeaway and delivery services
- Workplaces should stay open where people can’t work from home ie the construction and manufacturing sectors
- Single adult households can still form exclusive support bubbles with one other household and children will still be able to move beteen homes if their parents are separated
- If you are clinically vulnerable or over the age of 60 you should be especially careful to follow the rules and minimize your contact with others
- The furlough scheme will be extended to December
We are signing off now but click on the link below for all the details you need from tonight’s announcement
‘Stay at home, protect the NHS, save lives’: Second national coronavirus lockdown announced by Boris Johnson
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has announced a second national lockdown for England in a bid to fight the second wave of coronavirus.