CHRIS HENCHLIFFE CASE: Accused banned from Chesterfield town centre

Chris Henchliffe and his son Tyler. Picture: the Henchliffe family.
Chris Henchliffe and his son Tyler. Picture: the Henchliffe family.

A man charged with inflicting grievous bodily harm on Chris Henchliffe has been banned from entering Chesterfield town centre as part of his bail conditions.

Benjamin Edwards, of Fieldview Place, Chesterfield, appeared in the dock at Derby Crown Court this morning for a preliminary hearing.

The 21-year-old was told he must next attend the court on Tuesday, August 30.

Judge Robert Egbuna granted the accused conditional bail and said he must wear an electronic tag between the hours of 9pm and 7am, not go into Chesterfield town centre and not associate with named people.

Judge Egbuna asked Mr Edwards: “Do you understand?

Dressed in a white shirt and black tie, he replied: “I do.”

Members of Mr Edwards’ family and his friends were present in courtroom three for the ten-minute hearing.

Staff at Chesterfield Royal Hospital called police on Sunday, July 3, to tell officers that Mr Henchliffe had been brought to A&E by ambulance.

According to police, he was allegedly attacked by three men outside the Pomegranate Theatre in Corporation Street sometime between 4am and 4.30am that day.

Former soldier and father Mr Henchliffe, of Maynard Road, Chesterfield, was later transferred to the Royal Hallamshire Hospital in Sheffield with serious head injuries.

The 26-year-old died in hospital on the morning of Tuesday, July 12.

His family described him as ‘wonderful’.

In light of Mr Henchliffe’s death, police are consulting with the Crown Prosecution Service about the charge.

Two other 24-year-old men who were arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm have been released on police bail pending further enquiries.