B&M is showing home cooks how to make a giant Crunchie bar big enough to feed 12 people – and it only requires four ingredients.
All of the elements are extremely easy to find: 400g sugar, 400g golden syrup, six teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda, and 900g of milk chocolate.
It takes about three hours to make in total, in a silicone loaf tray.
The steps detailed on the B&M website are as follows:
- Melt the chocolate over a pan of boiling water and line the silicone loaf tray with it. Once the edges are lined chill until set.
- Add golden syrup and sugar to a pan and heat on medium for three minutes.
- Take the mixture off the heat and stir in the bicarbonate of soda. Quickly pour this into the chocolate silicone tray and chill until set.
- Melt some more chocolate and seal the giant bar with it by spreading all over. Chill until set.
- Once it has set, cut it open and enjoy.
A YouTube video, shown on this page, gives a step-by-step guide in visual form.
"We've supersized our Crunchie to make it giant,” B&M said.
"It might look complicated but it's really not – it's a brilliant treat to make to pass the time! Who fancies trying this at some point this week?"
The centre of a Cadbury's Crunchie is essentially cinder or honeycomb toffee, formed from a reaction between the soda and the sugary mixture needed to make it. The bars were launched by J. S. Fry & Sons in 1929.
B&M isn’t the only company sharing fun, easy recipes online – Greggs has been showing people how to make some of its most popular pastries at home, including its steak bakes, chicken bakes and sausage, cheese and bean melts.