NEWS IN BRIEF: Cat killed by smoke from nearby blaze

Share this article
Have your say

A CAT died after a blaze broke out at a flat in Smelter Wood Road, Stradbroke, Sheffield.

Fire crews from Darnall and Central stations dealt with the blaze in a ground floor flat, and a cat from one of the flats above perished after inhaling smoke from the fire.

A fire service spokeswoman said the blaze at 1am on Sunday was started deliberately. Crews left the scene at 4am.

* * * * *

Club evacuated

REVELLERS were evacuated from a Working Men’s Club in Rotherham after fire broke out. The blaze happened at Greasbrough WMC on Church Street, when an electrical box caught alight. Firefighters used powder to put out the blaze at 9.45pm on Saturday. Yorkshire Electricity Board also attended.

* * * * *

Vandals start fire

FIRE crews tackled a blaze which was started deliberately in a derelict building at 2pm on Sunday. Crews from Dearne and Edlington stations were called to Station Road, Mexborough, and spent 40 minutes at the scene.