Attempted murder man's jail term cut

A VIOLENT thug jailed for trying to murder another man in a gangster-style revenge attack today had his sentence cut at London's Appeal Court.

Jason Docking, aged 24, of Raisen Hall Road, Grimesthorpe, Sheffield, was jailed for 20 years at Sheffield Crown Court in August last year after he was convicted of attempted murder and dangerous driving.

He was locked up alongside fellow Sheffield men Leroy Lewis, 22, detained in a young offenders' institution for 14 years after he pleaded guilty to conspiracy to cause grievous bodily harm, and Jordan Cook, 21, who also received 14 years after admitting to the same offence and a charge of unlawful wounding.

Also sentenced was 21-year-old James Wild, who was jailed for eight years after admitting his part in the conspiracy.

After hours of intense legal debate Lord Justice Rose, sitting with Mr Justice Henriques and Mrs Justice Dobbs at London's Appeal Court, agreed to cut Docking's jail term to 16 years - but dismissed claims that the other men's sentences were "manifestly excessive".

The judge said brutal violence had been sparked off by Cook, of Firth Park Road, Sheffield, in July 2002, when - following an argument over a 16-year-old girl - he went to the home of his love rival, Dean Fletcher. He beat Mr Fletcher with a brass lamp inflicting severe head wounds.

Cook then enlisted the help of his accomplices, Wild, of Godric Road, Shiregreen, and Lewis, of Bowfield Road, Firth Park, who went with him as he again paid Mr Fletcher a visit the following month.

This time, however, the men went to the address clad in balaclavas and armed with a weapons including a loaded gun and a cosh.

Mr Fletcher was beaten with the butt of the firearm.

The attack inflamed the growing dispute between Cook's gang and Mr Fletcher's friends, paving the way for Docking - described as a "career criminal" - to launch his drive-by murder attempt on Lewis.

The judge said that on September 22, Docking - a close friend of Fletcher - had gone out in his car armed with a double-barrelled shotgun and shot at Lewis, who was also in a vehicle, in Firth Park.

However, Lewis managed to duck the shot, and the two men then took part in a high-speed chase.

The men were all arrested a few days later