Gran thanks lifesaver
THE grandma of a little boy who nearly choked to death on a lollipop today said an enormous "thank you" to the Sheffield city centre ambassador who saved his life.
Marlene Cavell's grandson Samuel was sucking on the sweet treat during a shopping trip with his parents John and Dominique Cavell, in Barker's Pool.
But the lolly came off its stick and got lodged in the four-year-old's throat - much to the panic of his parents who couldn't get it out.
In stepped city centre ambassador Sue Barr - who had only completed her First Aid training two days before - putting her new skills to use carrying out the life-saving instructions she had just learnt.
The Cavells are currently enjoying a holiday in Dominique's home country of Malaysia, but Marlene, from Gleadless, wanted to take the opportunity to thank Sue through the pages of The Star.
She said: "I am so glad she was around and eternally grateful for the help she gave.
"The council rang up the next day to check how he was, which was really nice too.
"The ambassadors are really useful people - you do feel more comfortable with them around, especially at night. I catch my bus near the Peace Gardens and they are always around."
Marlene said traffic chaos caused by the influx of students to the city may have contributed to the incident.
She said: "They'd driven into town and it had taken such a long time in the horrendous traffic around Hunter's Bar with all the people coming and going.
"I was really surprised when I heard he'd had a lolly because they're normally very strict about things like that - but he'd probably got a bit fed up with all the waiting around and they gave him a treat to sweeten him up."
Marlene says all the fuss seemed to have passed Samuel by.
She said: "When I saw him the next day he just came in, took out his usual toys and didn't even mention it!
"And he's normally a really chatty little boy!"
Click here to return to main news index.
What do you think? Add your comment below.