History enthusiasts welcomed German military officials to the launch of a Sheffield Blitz memorial walk.
The city group hosted the high-ranking Germans as they became the first people to walk the route of the proposed Sheffield Blitz Heritage Trail.
Both parties are eager to raise awareness of the 75th anniversary of the Sheffield Blitz, and the British attacks on Sheffield’s twin city, Bochum, hit in 1943 and 1944.
The German bombing raids on December 12 and 15, 1940, left more than 2,000 people dead or wounded, and nearly one tenth of the city homeless.
Local author Neil Anderson started the drive for a memorial following the publication of his book, Sheffield’s Date with Hitler in 2010. He has joined forces with project manager Richard Godley and history interpreter Bill Bevan in an effort to secure funding to ensure the event is never forgotten.
Richard said: “I have always been interested in history and that side of things and I’m good at working on Heritage Lottery grants, so we got together to see what we can do to mark the 75th anniversary.
“There’s no trail and no permament memorial.”
German Navy Commander Frank Reininghaus said: “It’s very moving and very interesting to see what Sheffield has done and how it has suffered. We hope that never happens again.
“Sheffield is great. What we have seen so far is very impressive. To see the old buildings spared from the raids and the new buildings alongside is very interesting. I will be back, definitely.”