Ex-fireman tackles blaze

A RETIRED firefighter saved the day after a blaze broke out in a Chesterfield chip shop yesterday teatime.

Monday, 3rd September 2007, 9:18 pm
Updated Tuesday, 4th September 2007, 10:07 am

The man used a foam extinguisher to contain the fire in one of the frying ranges at Brimington Fish Bar in High Street before crews from Chesterfield and Staveley arrived.

No-one was injured in the incident, at around 4.30pm, but the shop had to be closed while engineers were called out to fix the fryer.

A

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

plume of black smoke drifted across Burngreave and Pitsmoor yesterday afternoon after a fire started in an outbuilding. Fire crews were called to Bressingham Road at around 4.30pm.

A

faulty mobility scooter caught fire as it was parked up outside a house - and the blaze spread into a bedroom. Fire crews were called to a house in Kirkstone Road, Newbold, Chesterfield, yesterday morning.