Wath wonders seal Twickenham date

Have your say

WATH on Dearne have reached the final of the RFU Senior Vase – and will play in the final at Twickenham next month – after beating Stourbridge Lions 52-7.

Their emphatic eight-try victory was met with jubilation at Moor Road, which enjoyed its largest crowd for many years.

Wath will meet Wells in the final of the Senior Vase, while another two Yorkshire teams – Ilkley and Baildon – will also make the journey to the capital after winning the Intermediate Cup and Junior Vase semi finals respectively.

Second row Richard Hill touched down first for Wath and, after full-back Ben Keen kicked the conversion, second row Simon Lines added a second try to make it 12-0 to the hosts.

Fly-half Martin Bray was next to score, and centre Steve Mason and scrum-half Joe Bartlett also touched down in the first half, Keen converting all three for a 33-0 lead at the break.

Captain Matt Burrows scored the sixth try, and Mason added another two to complete his hat-trick, Keen converting twice more to put Wath 52-0 ahead, before a late consolation try from Stourbridge.

Dinnington lost out 14-11 in their rearranged Yorkshire One match against Bridlington.Originally played in January, the match in was ordered to be replayed after Bridlington failed to provide enough front-row replacements and were deducted five league points for the offence.

Dinnington stand-off Chris Williams kicked two first half penalties, but Bridlington were ahead at the break, 8-6.

Prop John Marshall touched down for Dinnington, while Bridlington kicked another penalty to leave the match finely balanced at 11-11 with ten minutes left.

However, with a minute left the visitors added a final penalty to cap the win and leave Dinnington with just a losing bonus point.

Barnsley reached the semi-finals of the Yorkshire Shield after trouncing hosts Skipton 54-11.

The home side went 8-0 ahead with a try and penalty, but Barnsley were soon into their stride with full-back Andrew Appleyard kicking a penalty and then converting first half tries by scrum-half Neil Francis and centre Andrew Buckingham to make it 17-8 at the break.

Another penalty from Skipton did nothing to stem the flow of Barnsley points, with centre Arron Gaunt and No 8 Dave Reed scoring on 50 and 58 minutes respectively, Appleyard converting.Gaunt bagged his second on the hour mark, and hooker Jordan Wood crashed over ten minutes later, Appleyard converting both to complete the win.