Tigers take charge

Share this article

SHEFFIELD Tigers brushed aside the effect of six weeks' inaction when they handed National Three Midlands tailenders Hereford a 45-9 beating as play resumed on a cold and windy Dore Moor.

Tigers soon took control despite Hereford, playing with the wind in the first half, keeping in touch with three penalty goals before the break.

Centre Jon Buchanan put the home side ahead with a try after 15 minutes.

Hereford replied with two Dean Powell penalties, but Tigers second row forward Gregor Hayter crashed over for a try which scrum-half Johnny West converted.

They went 19-6 ahead when Buchanan raced over for his second try, West adding the points, and although Powell slotted over another penalty in the 40th minute that was to be the visitors' final score.

Prop Sam Lockwood opened the second half with a try, again converted by West, but five minutes later West was replaced at scrum-half by Alex Drage, a regular last season.

Skipper and flanker Andy Barnes ran in two tries in the space of five minutes, the second converted by Joe Wright, who was again on target when Drage marked his return with a try on 75 minutes.

It completed a double for Tigers, 20-3 winners at Hereford in September, and they are now seventh out of 14 clubs.

Sheffield maintained their push for the Yorkshire One title with an emphatic six-try victory over hosts Selby, running out 36-6 winners.

Sheffield led 16-6 at the break. Scrum-half Matt Poste and full-back Ewan Reed touched down, while Donal Collins kicked two penalties.

After the break there were no successful kicks. But it mattered little, with captain Andy Kelly scoring twice while prop Tommy Marples and winger James Montgomery also scoring tries.

Struggling Dinnington were their own worst enemies as a string of mistakes in the second half saw them edged out 8-6 in Yorkshire One at Knottingley.

Dinnington took the lead with the first of Danny Wilkinson's two penalty goals.

Knottingley pulled back the game's only try five minutes later to start the second half 5-3 up, but Dinnington responded with Wilkinson's second penalty just three minutes after the restart to lead 6-5.

However, Knottingley themselves added what proved to be the winning penalty goal, and despite pressing the home line for the last 15 minutes Dinnington were unable to break through.

Barnsley, after turning round 15-8 ahead, were pushed out 18-15 in Yorkshire Two at Hullensians.

Barnsley went 12-0 ahead in the first 16 minutes with tries by No 8 David Reed and second row forward Jordan Wood, the first converted by Patrick Jensen.

Hull's goal kicker Clayton McLeod and Jensen then exchanged penalties before home winger Joe Briggs raced over for a try late in the first half.

Wath on Dearne continue to rule the roost in Yorkshire Three, running in six tries in a 38-0 demolition of Thornensians at Moor Road.

Wath, the highest scoring team in their league by more than 200 match points after 12 games, scored 19 points in each half, going ahead with the first of two tries from full-back Adam West, converted by Joe Thompson.

Centre Steve Mason, No 8 Matthew Burrows, fly-half Thompson and winger Jason Wong added tries before West sealed the win with his second two minutes from the end. A penalty goal by Tom Jenkinson 10 minutes from time saw Rotherham Phoenix salvage a 16-16 draw in Yorkshire Three at York RI.

Rotherham turned round 11-10 down, having scored tries through centre John Saddington and prop Pete Robinson but also having gifted York an easy try.

Sheffield Medicals, with 11 wins and a draw from their 12 matches, consolidated their lead in Yorkshire Four with a 28-10 victory at Stanley Rodillians. Medics were given a hard game by the tailenders, and it was only in the last five minutes that they secured a bonus point with their fourth try from scrum-half Eddie Farmer.

Second row Alex Fawdry, prop Marcin Kingbajl and inside centre Simon Gilmore scored the other tries, with Will Coomer converting one and adding two penalty goals.

Medicals are now 13 league points clear of second placed Burley, who lost 22-17 at Leeds Medicals and Dentists but have a game in hand.

Mosborough slipped in Yorkshire Four when they were defeated 12-5 at home to Harrogate Pythons.

Mosborough lost the game in the first 20 minutes when they conceded four penalty goals, and despite scoring the game's only try by Dave Pattimore, who had moved from No 8 to hooker, they were unable to drive home their advantage.

There were two shock results involving local sides in Yorkshire Five, where Rotherham Clifton edged out higher placed Stocksbridge 13-11 at Bolsterstone.

Stocksbridge, with the wind, had gone 11-0 ahead in the first half with a try by prop Joe Smith and two penalties from Scott Bowskill.

Rawmarsh collapsed 48-0 in at lower placed Wetherby.

n Don't miss Thursday's Grassroots, our free local sport pull-out, for a picture special on the Tigers-Hereford match.

Got a view? Leave a comment below.

CLICK HERE FOR The Star subscription offer. Use offer code STAOP0001 to get 25% off.

Follow The Star on Twitter and Facebook:

For breaking news and sport follow The Star on Twitter at www.twitter.com/sheffieldstar and Facebook at www.facebook.com/sheffieldstar.

JOIN THE STAR READER PANEL: The Star is YOUR newspaper, so tell us what you think about it and what you want to see - CLICK HERE.

Don't miss our daily pull-outs - only in the The Star: Monday Star Sport, Tuesday Class Act; Wednesday Business; Thursday Grassroots; Friday Time Out; Saturday Retro. Subscribe to The Star - CLICK HERE


Join the Star reader panel

Main news index

Your letters


South Yorkshire's environmental news

Kids Zone

More business news

More Rotherham news

More Doncaster news

More Barnsley news

Latest sport