Tigers grab first league victory

Have your say

NATIONAL Two North newcomers Sheffield Tigers led all the way to score a 33-29 victory at Hull.

The Dore side went ahead after 15 minutes when flanker Callum McKenzie crashed over for a try which Jonny West converted from the touchline. Five minutes later, centre Tom Outram went over between the posts, but West’s kick struck the upright and bounced out.

Hull hit back with a converted try, but Tigers’ Jon Feeley raced over and West converted.

Feeley touched down for his second try four minutes into the second half, West again adding the points, but from being 26-7 ahead Tigers struggled as Hull forced their way back, to leave Tigers with just four points in hand.

Their nerves were steadied when second row forward Gregor Hayter ploughed his way over and West converted.

After a strong start to their campaign in North One East, Sheffield were defeated 27-18 on their visit to Cleckheaton. The Abbeydale side were only two points behind at half time, but conceded a couple of second half tries. Left winger Alex Hills put Sheffield ahead with an early try which Donal Collins converted. Collins added a penalty shortly before the break, and a try from centre Dave McCabe in first half injury time helped make it 17-15 to the home team at half time. Collins added a second penalty, but it was not enough to stop Cleckheaton take the win.

Dinnington, who survived in Yorkshire 1 on losing bonus points last season and picked up another in their opening 27-24 defeat at Ilkley, suffered an even more frustrating setback when they were pipped 14-13 at home to Heath. The Halifax visitors scored the only try of the first half to turn round just 7-6 in front as Dinnington kept on the pace with two penalty goals from stand-off Chris Williams.

Williams then converted a try by Dinnington’s second row forward Mark Pinder to put the home side 13-7 clear, but they were left to salvage yet another losing bonus point when Heath’s winger Eddie Cartwright touched down and Charlie Lomas converted with the last kick of the game.

Barnsley were 39-18 winners at West Leeds in Yorkshire 2.Second row David Reed and No 8 Joe South touched down in the first half for Barnsley, and 17-year-old winger Gregory Colbridge kicked a conversion and penalty – but they still trailed 18-15 at half time.

However, after the break it was all Barnsley, with South scoring a second try. Others came from full-back Aaron Gaunt, prop Dale Hobson and centre Andrew Buckingham, while Colbridge kicked two more conversions.