Rugby round-up: Steel City delight as both the Tigers and Sheffield win

Jason Soden
Jason Soden
Have your say

Both Sheffield RUFC and Sheffield Tigers stopped their opposition from scoring a single try last weekend, as both Steel City teams claimed decisive wins in their respective National League Three North matches.

Tigers made the trip west to Lymm where they managed to grind out a 26-3 victory, but were unfortunate to miss out on the vital fourth try bonus point. The win, coupled with favourable results elsewhere in the league, extends their lead at the top of the table to eight points.

Meanwhile, Sheffield hosted fellow promotion place chasers Wirral and miserable weather could not deter the Abbeydale side from inflicting a crushing 38-3 triumph.

The first half, although low scoring, was dominated by Sheffield’s tactical kicking and counter-attacking play. Sheffield scored on five minutes, when Gareth Morley made a break, drew the left wing and fullback forward and left Johnny France with a clear run for a try.

It was not until the 28th minute that more points were added to the board through a Wirral penalty, their only score of the day. The Abbeydale side went on to extend their lead through two converted Joe Cribley penalties, the score at half time 11-3.

After the break, the game continued with much of the same. Cribley converted two of three penalties taking the game to 17-3, whilst the visiting side wasted any chances offered to score.

On 60 minutes, Alex Fawdry forced his way over from close range, the added conversion took the game to 24-3. In the final 15 minutes, Sheffield scored a further two tries giving them the league bonus point. The two added conversions took the score to 38-3.

Jason Soden, Sheffield’s director of rugby, said: “It was a great result, we played a really well controlled game in atrocious weather.

“I was really pleased with the result and everyone’s performance and the way we chased the bonus point.

“Our defence was solid. In the first half of the game we spent most of the time in our own half of the pitch, they had the majority of possession but could do nothing with it.

“In the second half we controlled the game completely. When we got into their half, we took our chances and kept the scoreboard ticking over and won the game.”

The result leaves Sheffield RUFC fourth in the table, four points shy of the play-off place. Sheffield are next in action against Birkenhead Park, and Soden added: “Anybody in this league can beat anybody else.

“But if we play with the same defence and control that we played against Wirral, we should be able to take on Birkenhead and beat them.”