Hills are alive with Under-19 Cup joy

Touchdown: Chris Conway scores a try for Doncaster Phoenix against West Park.                 Picture: FSP IMAGES
Touchdown: Chris Conway scores a try for Doncaster Phoenix against West Park. Picture: FSP IMAGES
Have your say

WHEATLEY Hills saw off a strong challenge from Guisborough on Sunday at Moortown to lift the Yorkshire Under-19s Cup following their 12-5 victory.

Tries by No 8 Sam Kerry, who broke from a maul about 15 metres out, and scrum-half Matt Free, who went blind from a ruck, and a conversion by fly-half Jack Crasswell, secured the Doncaster club a 12-0 interval lead.

They had to dig deep defensively at times during a second half when they had three men sin-binned for technical offences, and did extremely well to limit the big Guisborough side to a single try during the time they were short-handed.

The club’s senior team, badly affected by a crop of injuries in recent games, suffered a 24-5 North East One defeat at lowly Driffield.

Needing to win to retain any hope of avoiding relegation, the East Yorkshire side showed more urgency and determination than their depleted visitors, who also lacked goal-kicking half-back Guy Townsley.

Driffield took an early lead after Wheatley had strayed offside.

They added a try on 20 minutes following a blind-side move from a ruck.

Wheatley came back strongly in the second quarter with leading try-scorer Gaz Burns touching down after breaking off from a driving maul.

Driffield extended their lead to 11-5 with a 55th minute penalty.

They converted two more in the next 15 minutes to leave Wheatley trailing 17-5 after 70 minutes.

Driffield were awarded what Wheatley felt was a harsh penalty try at the death.

Doncaster Phoenix, who have rather lost their way in Yorkshire League Two in recent weeks after looking capable of finishing in the top four earlier in the year, lost 29-17 away at lowly West Park Leeds.

The Castle Park club made a lively start and winger Wayne Barnes touched down only to have the ‘try’ disallowed for a forward pass.

The home side rode their luck and opened up a 7-0 lead only for Phoenix to level when centre Mick Sykes touched down near enough for player-coach Dan Storey to convert.

Dan Greenslade made a good run down the opposite flank and the ball was moved along the line to Barnes, who turned it back inside to the former Dons’ junior.

The home club hit back and scored a second converted try to lead 14-7 at the break.

The West Yorkshire side added an unconverted try after the break to extend their advantage to 12 points only for Storey to pull three points back with a second penalty.

West Park ran in a fourth try to lead 24-10, but veteran full-back Chris Conway threw the visitors a lifeline after touching down for a try goaled by Storey following a move from a lineout.

The Doncaster side continued to entertain hopes of a draw until their hosts sealed their fate with a late fifth try - the referee failing to blow for either a knock-on or forward pass in the build-up.

Phoenix now find themselves in ninth place with one gme to go.

Thornensians lost a high-scoring Division Three clash against visiting Bramley Phoenix 47-41 at Coulman Road in their last game of the season. Rossington Hornets lost 31-12 at home to Rotherham Clifton in Division Five.