First half purple patch earns Wheatley victory

Away defeat: Ripon try to stop Pheonix's Peter Atkinson.     Picture: FSP Images
Away defeat: Ripon try to stop Pheonix's Peter Atkinson. Picture: FSP Images
Share this article
Have your say

WHEATLEY Hills got back to winning ways in North East One with a 25-10 victory over visiting Cleckheaton.

It was a classic games of two halves as far as the Doncaster side were concerned. They lost their way in the second after building up a 22-3 interval lead.

Two tries: Byron Elliott

Two tries: Byron Elliott

The visitors drew first blood with an early penalty after Wheatley were caught offside.

The home club then ran in four tries in the next 25 minutes to build up a match-winning lead and bank a bonus point.

Centre Ryan Guest put the home side in front on eight minutes after rounding off a bout of handling down the line when cutting in past his marker and racing 30 metres to score.

Youngster Jack Crasswell, standing in at fly-half for the injured Guy Townsley (hamstring), missed the resulting conversion.

No 8 Byron Elliott grabbed Wheatley’s second five minutes later when forcing his way over for another unconverted try wide out from a close-in maul.

Elliott had longer to run when claiming his second try on 20 minutes, racing in from about 40 metres after breaking a tackle after picking the ball up from a maul and then rounding the full-back to present Crasswell with an easy conversion.

Winger Tom Barker, who made the try-scoring pass, set up Wheatley’s fourth try scored by centre Mickey Hayward, will a looping run.

Cleckheaton again opened the scoring at the start of the second half with a converted try.

Crasswell booted over a 52nd minute penalty which proved to be the final score of the game which fizzled out in the last quarter.

Doncaster Phoenix lost 27-7 away to Yorkshire League Two rivals Ripon.

The North Yorkshire side took an early lead with a brace of penalties.

The Castle Park club hit back to take a 7-6 lead with a try by full-back Geoff Horrocks, converted by Ben Millar.

But that is as good as it got for the visitors as the home side got well on top after the break.

Thornensians, who led 22-7 at one stage, survived a late rally by visiting Northallerton to claim a thrilling 22-19 Division Four win.

Adwick got off the mark in Division Five at the third time of asking with a 30-22 win over Nestle Rowntree.

Doncaster rivals Rossington Hornets lost 40-0 at Marist to remain pointless after three games,

Wheatley Hills seconds lost 21-20 away to Sheffield thirds in a Yorkshire League Two Merit clash. Centre Chris Blessed, scrum-half Matty Free and fly-half Mark Sanderson shared out the three Wheatley tries, one of which was goaled by Sanderson who also kicked a penalty.

Wheatley Thirds beat Stocksbridge seconds 68-12 at home. Andy Wilson led the way with a hat-trick of tries, with Mick Murtagh, Pete Boyes, Tim Stollery and Tim Rowse all bagging a brace. Phil Rowse also got in on the act with Paul Clayton converting four of the 12 tries.