England rugby boys romp home

Have your say

A hat-trick in the space of 11 minutes from Mark Cueto set England on their way to a 67-3 win over Romania.

Having missed the wins over Argentina and Georgia due to a back injury and the form of Delon Armitage, Cueto marked his return in emphatic fashion.

He crossed for England first three tries of the match, with Chris Ashton also scoring a hat-trick, while Ben Youngs, Ben Foden, Manu Tuilagi and Tom Croft all got their names onto the scoresheet. Jonny Wilkinson added nine points, while Toby Flood slotted over four conversions.

The win was always expected but the performance will have pleased England’s management and fans alike - with the display far more dynamic and clinical.

There was a sharpness to England’s back play, while the forwards particularly impressed in the lineout - although they were a little scrappy at the breakdown and the penalty count was still too high.

England were quickly into their stride as Wilkinson made no mistake with his first shot at goal in the second minute after the Romanians were caught offside.

England were showing good enterprise in attack, with Cueto and Ashton looking to get involved at every opportunity. Unfortunately a combination of Romanian defence and errors at the breakdown frustrated them.

However Cueto marked his return to the side with a try after 15 minutes, with Ashton breaking through before shipping the ball on to his wing partner.

And Cueto was in again six minutes later as the Romania defence went AWOL. Ben Youngs caught the Oaks napping as he took a quick tap penalty and after drives from Louis Deacon and James Haskell, Mike Tindall found Cueto to score. Wilkinson converted.

And it was a hat-trick for Cueto on 26 minutes. Tindall was at the centre of it as he first turned over the ball at the breakdown before exploiting the space for the Haskell and then Tom Croft to pass the ball on to the Sale winger.

Ashton got his name onto the scoresheet with the bonus point try on 32 minutes, with the Saints flyer taking the inside pass off Wilkinson before outpacing the Romania defence. Wilkinson converted.

And Ashton got his second just three minutes later. Youngs drew in the Romania defence superbly to release Deacon, with Steve Thompson taking the ball on before finding Ashton to apply the swallow dive. Wilkinson slotted over his third conversion.

Romania ensured it wouldn’t be a whitewash as Marin Dumbrava slotted over a penalty to make it 34-3 at half-time

However it took England just 20 seconds to add to their tally after the interval with Youngs breaking blind from the restart and exchanging passes with Tuilagi before applying the finish.

Having seen his back-three colleagues steal the show, Foden finally got in on the act on 48 minutes as he raced in after Tuilagi had blasted through the Romania defence. Flood converted.

Romania threatened England’s line for the first time in the 50th minute - but their defence was superb as the Oaks came up against a solid white wall.

And Tuliagi brought up the half-century as he once again powered through the would-be Romania tacklers. Flood added the extras.

England were scoring at will, with Croft going over in the corner after a brilliant initial drive from Ashton and a sublime offload from Tom Palmer. Flood converted superbly from the touchline.

Ashton was rewarded with his hat-trick score two minutes later - with another offload from Palmer releasing the rampaging Haskell before the No.8 found his winger. Flood tagged on the two points.