Doncaster Knights 9 London Scottish 19: Fourth successive Championship defeat for Knights

Doncaster Knights' Matt Challinor in action against London Scottish at Castle Park. Picture: Steve Taylor
Doncaster Knights' Matt Challinor in action against London Scottish at Castle Park. Picture: Steve Taylor
Have your say

Doncaster Knights failed to check their slide down the Championship table after suffering a fourth successive defeat - 19-9 - against third-placed London Scottish at Castle Park.

To add to Knights’ disappointment they finished empty-handed for the third successive game - Scottish full-back Peter Lydon converting an angled penalty with the last kick of the game after Canadian international Tyler Hotson had been penalised.

Dougie Flockhart, who had missed an earlier attempt, had looked to have rescued a losing bonus point for Knights with an injury-time penalty to make it 16-9.

Although the high-flying visitors were good value for their win having scored the only two tries, Knights deserved some reward.

No-one could criticise their commitment to try and make amends for the sorry showing against lowly Moseley last time out.

But they let themselves down in their execution and their failure to make better use of their back division in which full-back Paul Jarvis again caught the eye.

Dual-registered Leicester centre George Catchpole showed late on when he made a powerful break what he had to offer but that was his only real running chance on his debut.

Scottish, who had won only once in the league on their travels this season, drew first blood with a 25 metre penalty by Lydon.

Doncaster’s cause wasn’t helped by the fact that they continued to concede penalties on a regular basis, and they fell further behind on 12 minutes when Scottish scrum-half Matt Heeks shot darted over for an unconverted try wide out.

It wasn’t until midway through the first half that they mounted any real pressure on the Scottish line.

But a combination of solid Scottish defence and mainly one-dimensional tactics, meant that Knights drew a blank from a sustained five-minute spell.

Well served by club captain Matt Challinor, Knights finally opened their account on 29 minutes when Flockhart converted a penalty.

Knights cut the deficit to just two points on 45 minutes when Flockhart again found the target with a 30 metre penalty,

Arguably Knights’ best handling move of the game ended with wing Tyson Lewis being bundled into touch just outside the Scottish 22.

Lydon was just wide with a long-range penalty on 52 minutes but made amends from almost identical range three minutes later to extend the exiles’ lead to 11-6.

Former Knights’ favourite, Samoan centre PJ Gidley, helped instigate the well-worked move which ended with wing Matt Williams, another former Doncaster player, diving over in the corner for an unconverted try on 66 minutes.

Knights: Jarvis, Flockhart, Catchpole, Armitage, Lewis, Roberts, Bravo, List, Hunter, Quigley, Challinor, Hotson, Eggleshaw, Hills, Shaw. Rep: Cosgrove, Bergmanas, Pasquali, Makaafi, Foden, Hihetah, Maplesden.

Att: 1,487.