Sheffield Eagles 28 Hull KR 38

Sheffield's Rob Worrincy runs into a solid Hull KR defence. Picture: Dean Atkins
Sheffield's Rob Worrincy runs into a solid Hull KR defence. Picture: Dean Atkins
Have your say

Sheffield Eagles slipped to defeat on their return to the Steel City after a 28-38 defeat to Hull Kingston Rovers.

Mark Aston’s side produced a spirited performance against the Super 8 pace setters with young winger Ryan Miller marking his return to the side with a hat-trick in front of over 2,000 fans at Bramall Lane.

Sheffield were without centre Sam Smeaton who failed to recover from a shoulder problem. Miller came into the side on the wing with Scott Tuner moving inside to fill the void at centre.

It was first blood to the hosts as Aston’s side took a shock lead when Keal Carlile found Eddie Battye who planted the ball over the whitewash at full stretch, with Pat Walker adding the extras.

A sluggish Robins side finally clicked into gear when Ken Sio dived over in the corner, but Kieran Dixon missed the conversion.

John Davies was then confined to the bin after seeing yellow for a dangerous tackle on Matthew Marsh, but the Eagles comfortably held out despite the disadvantage.

The Super League side hit the front just before the break when Maurice Blair barged his way past Dave Petersen to score, with Dixon adding the two points. The visitors rubbed further salt into wounds when Blair’s kick to the corner was snaffled by Sio who grounded for his second try. Dixon converted.

The Eagles hit back straight after the interval when Menzie Yere picked up the loose ball following Aaron Ollett’s spill, before handing over to Quentin Laulu-Togagae for a simple run-in. Dominic Brambani kicked the extras.

The visitors restored their grip on the game soon after when Sio sprinted clear for his hat-trick, and Dixon slotted a simple conversion.

The Eagles refused to lie down and following a clever pass inside by Yere, youngster Miller scored in the corner with Brambani converting.

The visitors then ended any hope of a major shock by taking a firm grip of proceedings. Adam Walker, Kris Welham and Marsh all went over to take the game away from the hosts.

The Eagles had the last laugh with Miller bagging his second try when Sio’s error presented the youngster with a simple run-in, but Walker missed the extras.

With two minutes remaining Miller again showed a turn of pace to support Cory Aston’s break, before surging over the line to complete his hat-trick.

Eagles: Laulu-Togagae; Miller, Yere, Turner, Worrincy, Aston, Brambani, Battye, Carlile, Stringer, Knowles, Straugheir, Walker. Interchange: Taulapapa, Petersen, Davies, Davey.

Tries: Battye (6), Laulu-Togagae (44), Miller (54, 74, 78) Goals: Walker 2/3, Brambani 2/2

Hull KR: Cockayne; Dixon, Welham, Salter, Sio, Blair, Marsh, Tilse, Boudebza, Puletua, Larroyer, Ollett, Burke. Interchange: Walker, Donaldson, Cox, Lawler.

Tries: Sio (21, 40, 47), Blair (36), Walker (59), Welham (62), Marsh (70) Goals: Dixon 5/7

Referee: Chris Kendall

Attendance: 2,017