RUGBY LEAGUE: Eagles move up to fourth as Misi clinches late win

editorial image
Share this article
Have your say

Swinton Lions 24

Sheffield Eagles 32

SHEFFIELD Eagles powered their way to a league double over Swinton on the back of their big forwards.

They lived dangerously with the game settled by a late try from centre Misi Taulapapa.

The win lifted the Eagles to fourth place in the Championship and was a boost with the Northern Rail Cup semi-final against Halifax on Friday.

Half-back Simon Brown was brought back for Eagles and had a mixed afternoon helping create two tries but his wild passes gifting two to the Lions.

Hesitant defending gifted Swinton the opening score with stand-off Chas I’Anson spotting a gap in the line for the try with Ian Mort adding the goal.

Eagles’ forward power dragged them back into the game and the pressure paid with two tries in three minutes mid-way through the half.

Fullback Quentin Laulu-Togagae came into the line and with his way blocked passed inside to second rower Michael Knowles who finished the job.

Andrew Henderson made the second try with a great offload for loose-forward Joe Hirst to score. Brambani added both goals.

Brown came off the bench with Pat Smith switching to hooker and had an immediate impact with a break and pass putting Knowles in for his second try. Brambani’s kick hit an upright but went over.

A minute before the break a pass by Brown was intercepted by Martin Ainscough who raced to the line and Mort added the goal to cut the lead to 18-12.

After the restart Peter Green’s determination set the position for Brown to pass out to Yere who celebrated 100 games for the Eagles with a try.

Eagles’ lead was cut to four points as a wild Brwon pass was intercepted and Lions’ winger Kevin Penny went 90 metres with Mort kicking the goal.

In a nervous final 15 minutes Duane Straugheir went in for a try but the lead was cut to two points when Tom Armstrong went in at the corner and Mort kicked his fourth goal.

Misi Taulapapa got a crucial try with a break for 35 metres with six minutes to go and Brown added the goal.

Swinton: Mort; Dodd, Ainscough, Armstrong, Penny; I’Anson, Watson; Riley, Mark Smith, Morrison, Cunniffe, Clarke, Walker. Subs: Mills, Meekin, Hawkyard, Reay.

Eagles: Laulu-Togagae; Turner, Yere, Taulapapa, Morrison; Pat Smith, Brambani; Howieson, Henderson, Stringer, Knowles, Scott, Hirst. Subs: Brown, Green, Straugheir, Higgins.

Referee: Gareth Hewer.

Attendance: 506.