Retro: Sheffield Eagles’ playoff glory, 10 years ago

Sheffield Eagles celebrate  League 2 Play Off-Final victory over Swinton at Warrington.
Sheffield Eagles celebrate League 2 Play Off-Final victory over Swinton at Warrington.
Have your say

Glory days are back for Sheffield Eagles, reported James Collins as the club clinched promotion on Sunday, October 8, 2006.

After seasons of battling just to survive, Eagles won the right to play in National League One - one step from the Super League - the following season.

Mark Aston celebrates with supporters

Mark Aston celebrates with supporters

Eagles did it in style, beating Swinton Lions 35-10 after taking the best Swinton could throw at them in a tense first 30 minutes, then powering away to end the season with 13 straight wins.

The game was decided by a storming six-minute spell either side of half-time in which they ran in three tries.

The scorers - Brendon Lindsay, Jonny Woodcock and Rob Worrincy - were three of the outstanding figures of the League Two promotion play-off played at Warrington.

Stand-off Lindsay with scrum-half Gavin Brown and hooker Paul Pickering was also part of the play-making triangle that gave Eagles the edge.

Swinton’s early tactics of high deep kicks from acrum-half Chris Hough was nullified by good positioning and cool play from full back Woodcock and wingers Worrincy and Greg Hurst.

Worrincy, in what was to be his last game before switching codes with Doncaster Rugby Union Club, broke the deadlock on 21 minutes when Lindsay, from first receiver, put out a long pass to Ford who sent the winger flying in at the corner.

As Swinton piled on the pressure a Lindsay tackle denied Lee Marsh a try before Liam McGovern replaced Hough as Lions switched tactics to a snappier passing game with instand results.

A McGovern chip beat Worrincy and winger Andrew Saywell dropped on the ball to level on 31 minutes.

Eagles were looking the stonger and better organised with a series of forward substitutions clasing back possession.

Up on the Swinton line a pass out from Pickering was flicked inside by Gavin Brown into the path of Lindsay whop swept across the line near the posts on 37 minutes. Woodcock added the goal.

The full back put his name down for man of the match by chasing Lindsay’s chip-kick and stealing the ball off Saywell to swoop across the line bwefore adding the goal.

Half-time and Eagles were leading 16-4 but there was more to come and in spectacular fashion. Less than three minutes after the restart a McGovern chip landed straight in the hands of Worrincy on his own try line and the winger was off, racing the length of the field before planting the ball under the posts. Woodcock added the goal.

In the 52nd minute centre Jimmy Walker touched down after a pickering pass and a chip from Gavin Brown. Woodcock converted.

On 60 minutes Martin Ostler started a move that ended with Lindsay sending out a looping pass for Andy Hay to score Eagles final try, Woodcock converting to make it five goals from six attempts.

It was just reward for Hay, who along with Waisale Sovatabua and skipper Andy Smith out in bug spells.

Swinton centre Dave Alstead scored a consolation try but Gavin Brown slotted over a drop goal with four minutes to go and all that was left was for Eagles fans to enjoy counting down the final seconds on the Sky TV big screen.

* Eagles: Worrincy, Ford, Walker, Hurst, Lindsay, Gavin Brown, Howieson, Pickering, Stringer, Hay, Holdstock, Smith. Subs: Poucher, Ostler, Dickinson, Sovatabua.

* Eagles tries: Worrincy 2, Lindsay, Woodcock, Walker, Hay; goals: Woodwock 5, drop goal: Gavin Brown.

* Attendance: 13,024

* Star man: Jonny Woodcock.