Match report: Hunslet Hawks 10 Sheffield Eagles 54

Menzie Yere scored for the Eagles at Hunslet
Menzie Yere scored for the Eagles at Hunslet
Have your say

A second half blitz by the Eagles ensured a 54-10 victory against Hunslet Hawks at South Leeds Stadium.

With the game in the balance Mark Aston’s side produced a devastating second half display to take the game away from the Hawks, inspired by Menzie Yere who ran in four tries for the Eagles.

Aston welcomed back Michael Knowles and Kyle Briggs who both missed the defeat against London last weekend.

There was no sign of what was to come in the first half when it took 25 minutes for the first real piece of quality. Quick thinking by Jack Lee to score with a break from dummy half finally broke the stalemate for Hunslet, and Danny Ansell converted.

It was a less than convincing start from Aston’s side, but they found their feet just before the break to haul themselves into the contest. Briggs made the telling break to make ground and Yere barged his way over to score in trademark fashion. Then good play by Briggs allowed for Sam Smeaton to charge through the Hunslet line to score. Briggs converted.

After the break the visitors picked up where they left off and within a blink of an eye they took the game away from Hunslet. A knock on from the kick off gave the Eagles the initiative, and Tony Tonks powered his way over with Briggs adding the extras. Aston’s side moved through the gears to score again when Yere pounced in the corner, profiting from another Hunslet error but Briggs failed with the extras.

Hunslet’s capitulation continued when an unstoppable break from Yere completed his hat-trick with Briggs converting, and worse was to follow for the home side as Scott Turner added another try to give the Eagles a 24 point lead. Briggs missed the conversion.

Liam Mackay gave Hunslet a consolation score, but nobody was going to keep Yere out of the game for long and he duly added his fourth try with Briggs converting.

Rob Worrincy grabbed the try of the night after an 80 metre break from an intercept, with Briggs adding the two points.

The icing was put on the cake from Knowles with a late score which he converted, and Quentin Laulu-Togage who added a tenth try at the death.

Hunslet: Watson; Briscoe, Keinhorst, Maun, Finigan, Kain, Ansell, Haley, Lee, Brennan, Backhouse, Casey, Yates. Interchange: Tebb, Lyons, Houston, Mackay.

Scorers: Tries: Lee (26), Mackay (58) Goals: Ansell 1/2

Eagles: Laulu-Togagae; Turner, Yere, Smeaton, Worrincy, Briggs, Aston, Thorpe, Davey, Stringer, Knowles, Straugheir, Davies. Interchange: Carlile, Battye, Taulapapa, Tonks.

Scorers: Tries: Yere (33, 45, 48, 64), Smeaton (40), Tonks (41), Tuner (51), Worrincy (68) Knowles (73) Laulu-Togagae (80) Goals: Briggs 6/9, Knowles 1/1

Referee: Adam Gill

Attendance: 521