Sheffield Eagles see off Workington to reach the Challenge Cup sixth round

Sheffield Eagles booked a place in the sixth round of the Challenge Cup by defeating Workington Town 34-18 at the Keepmoat Stadium on Sunday.

Sunday, 15th March 2020, 5:10 pm
Updated Sunday, 15th March 2020, 7:48 pm
Joel Farrell gave Eagles a great start with an early try.

With the sporting calendar virtually wiped out across the country, Mark Aston’s side produced a professional display to ditch League One Town.

The Eagles were handed the initiative from the kick-off when Town failed to trap the ball and were then caught offside from the restart. After being repelled with their first set on the Town line, a knock-on gave the hosts another chance as Joel Farrell darted over and Izaac Farrell added the extras.

Town then gifted the Eagles another score by sailing a restart out on the full. The Eagles sent the play left with Joel Farrell barely touched as breezed over for his second score. Izaac Farrell missed the extras.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Workington gained a foothold with a terrific try against the run of play. A grubber from Jamie Doran was superbly flicked by back from the dead ball line by Connor Fitzsimmons allowing Carl Forber to touch down for a converted try.

Workington looked set for another score soon after but Doran’s pass was intercepted by Thackeray who sprinted downfield. At the next play the Eagles worked it wide via Zack McComb to Ryan Millar for an easy walk in. Izaac Farrell slotted the extras.

Aston’s side were over again on the half hour mark as Thackeray teed up Ollie Davies to cross the whitewash for an unconverted try.

The Eagles were dominant and when Thackeray’s chip over the top on the last was collected by fit-again Corey Makelim, the USA international moved through the gears to dive over for a converted score in front of the sticks.

Workington came out for the second stanza with renewed vigour and were rewarded with a Fui Fui Moi Moi converted try on 51 minutes.

The second period was much more competitive, but the Eagles sealed the game on 70 minutes when Thackeray kept a move alive with pass to the left, and Izaac Farrell galloped over, but missed the following conversion.

The two sides exchanged tries late on with Makelim going over for the hosts and Blain Marwood for Town.