Dons crash as big boys Hull run in 10 tries

Share this article
Have your say

The visitors proved too big, too strong and too fast for the Championship Two side.

Hull, who also fielded a sprinkling of Under-20s in their squad, dominated territorially for long periods and ran in ten tries, eight of which were converted.

The Dons struggled to break the Hull line in the forwards so their half-backs played most of the game on the back foot which severely restricted their attacking options.

There were several decent individual displays, but there is much work to be done - particularly in defence - before the club’s first competitive match on Friday week.

Hull drew first blood on seven minutes - centre Richard Whiting out-jumped a defender on the line to touch down from full-back Jordan Tandy’s kick. He added the resulting conversion from well out to make it 7-0,

The Dons had a spell of pressure but Hull increased their lead on 14 minutes when winger Reece Lyne capitalised on an overlap on the right to cross from close range. Whiting added the touchline conversion then scored his second try after pushing off a defender close to the line. His conversion attempt shaved the far post to leave the score 16-0.

Hull continued to dominate and second-rower Willie Manu forced his way over. Whiting again added the extras to make it 22-0.

Dons centre Lee Gomersall lost the ball over the line in the act of scoring two minutes later. Jack Ely was held just short on 32 minutes.

Hull extended their lead when winger Jack Briscoe showed a good turn of pace to round full-back Mick Butterfield down the left touchline 20 metres out following a fine break by stand-off Jordan Turner.

Hull were in again on the hooter - Lee Williams racing in for another converted try after dummying into space.

Tansley and Liam Kent both crossed for converted tries in the opening five minutes of the second half to make it 44-0.

Whiting broke a tackle on the Dons 20 and raced in for his hat-trick try on 53 minutes. Ben Crooks third conversion of the half brought the half-century of points up.

Despite that Hull showed no sign of easing up and centre Liam Cunningham raced in for another converted try.

It took the Dons until the 65th minute to mount any real pressure in the Hull 20 in the second half.

Whiting booted the ball dead a split second before Dons winger Dean Colton would have made contact with centre Shaun Leaf’s grubber kick to the corner. The Dons continued to battle on showing there is nothing wrong with their fitness levels. But a consolation eluded them.

Next Sunday they face a Doncaster Amateur Select.

Dons squad: Butterfield, Colton, Spurr, Gomersall, Wilson, Fawcett, Spaven, Bovill, Hughes, Carbutt, Emmett, Steen, Hughes, Scott, Robinson, Sanderson, Ely, Leaf, Crawley, Williams, Sampson.

Referee: Ronnie Laughton.

Attendance: 1,924