Lawro drops in for a chat with Rovers manager

editorial image
Have your say

BBC football pundit Mark Lawrenson dropped in at Doncaster Rovers Cantley Park training ground last Thursday for an interview with manager Dean Saunders for Saturday’s Football Focus.

The two men go back a long way and spent quite a bit of time chatting after filming had finished.

Saunders played for Lawrenson when he was manager at Oxford United in the late 80s.

Lawrenson, who later managed at Peterborough United for 14 months, quit his first managerial post in protest against the Welsh international being sold against his wishes.

The Doncaster boss had earlier been annoyed that the squad had been forced to train at the Keepmoat Stadium, which had been covered by plastic sheeting, after he ruled that the training pitches were too hard to train on.

Rovers hopes of a fifth successive League One win were dashed in Saturday’s game against Swindon Town at the County Ground and they were perhaps fortunate to come away with a point from a 1-1 draw.

On paper it was a game which Rovers should have won given their impressive away record and the fact that the Robins had only won one of their previous eight games.

It was difficult to see why given the quality of their performance against Rovers and they looked as good a side as they have faced in the league this season with striker Andy Williams and winger Matt Ritchie both proving a handful for the Doncaster back-four.

But for an own goal Rovers might have drawn a blank on the day for only the second time on the road in the league this season.

The woodwork also came to their rescue on a couple of times in the first half, while keeper Gary Woods proved the hero of the second half with a series of excellent saves.

One of the memories, I will remember from the game will be the sight of on-loan striker Iain Hume staggering off with a cut head after several minutes’ treatment on the pitch after he had come off worse in a clash with a defender.

Head injuries are always a concern, even more so given Hume’s history.

Hume received an unusually good reception from home fans, who, I can only assume were equally aware of his past problems.

I was surprised to see Hume, head heavily bandaged, turn out in the second half after being stitched up during the break.

But Saunders made it clear in the post-match press conference that he had no truck with players coming off with what he considers minor injuries.

It had been a pleasant drive down to Swindon but I was thrown by the so-called magic roundabout (I’ve never come across anything like it) just before I got the ground.

Doncaster Knights find themselves in a strong position in Pool 8 of the British & Irish Cup following their last-minute 16-13 win at Llandovery on Saturday.

Fly-half Jamie Lennard held his nerve to kick a long range penalty to hand the Welsh side their first defeat in the competition.

It made a change for the Championship club to snatch victory at the death after twice losing match-winning leads in stoppage time in league games at Castle Park this season.

The two sides meet again at Castle Park on Saturday and victory would see Clive Griffiths’ side go clear at the top with two games remaining.