VIDEO: Steelers bag double win - and Jonathan Phillips wins stunning prize

Have your say

Two Steeler wins in consecutive days - for the first time since mid-October.

Will it lift the pressure on the coach and players?

Unlikely, as they were both tight one goal victories over teams from the lower reaches of the Elite division.

But with the continuing injury absence of arguably Sheffield’s best d-man and most exciting forward (Dustin Kohn and Rob Dowd) it is something to build on.

In last night’s match programme, owner Tony Smith had spelled out that two point weekends are not enough adding: “I do not want to apply additional pressure but both Doug (Christiansen) and Marc (Lefebvre) knew they were brought in here to build a championship team and not a team that alternates between wins and losses.”

Dave Simms, banging the drum a little louder, said it was wrong to be calling for heads and that everyone associated with the club “has to share in the pain.”

It was against that background - and having lost four out of the previous seven games, prior to the weekend - that Steelers took on bottom club Fife, who had slumped to their fourth consecutive loss on Saturday.

Yet Fife, who arrived having lost 12 of 16 League matches, seemed to be the team least under pressure in a sterile first period.

The 20 minutes will only linger in the memory for two things: the one minute standing ovation to recognise Jeff Legue’s feat on reaching 500 EIHL points and the sheer scale and bushiness of the beard sported by Fife’s American d-man Matt Nickerson.

The applause, if not the comic beard, should have energised the home team but it was a lifeless 0-0 period.

An error-strewn middle chapter produced three goals. Highly-rated Fife goalie Kevin Regan made a hash of clearing the puck, effectively setting up Legue, who calmly slotted home at 32;32.

Two minutes later Rob Sirianni gave up a penalty in the offensive zone and Kyle Haines hammered a point shot home from his right flank.

Sirianni made amends though at 36;29. He cashed in when Derek Roehl dropped a clanger in the slot, inviting the Italian international to flick the puck home.

The third session was 33 seconds old when forward Stefan Meyer - who has such an eye for goal in a team that doesn’t score enough - shot home on slushy ice.

But two minutes later a superb pass from Jordan Fulton set up a goal for Danny Stewart for 3-2.

* Saturday’s Challenge Cup Group finale at Hull was another tight affair, although Sheffield outshot Stingrays 42-26.

Christiansen’s team had to come from a goal down to win,Carl Lauzon’s slapshot having put Hull ahead at 7.54 on the powerplay. Sirianni tied it up at 26.57 before Drew Fata’s strike - assisted by Legue’s 500th EIHL point - won the game.

Steelers have qualified for a quarter final fixture with either Dundee Stars or Fife in the New Year.