Match highlights: Sheffield Steelers 2 Belfast Giants 1 - VIDEO

Have your say

Steelers chalked up their first four point weekend - thanks in no small part to the heroics of goalie Frank Doyle.

The 33-year-old Canadian keeper illustrated the value of experience gained over 14 years in the crease by repelling two penalty shots in the middle period against Belfast Giants yesterday.

Stefan Meyer makes it 1-1 against Belfast Giants

Stefan Meyer makes it 1-1 against Belfast Giants

Had both gone in, Steelers may have struggled to find a way back.

But Doyle did his business - and the home forwards, eventually, did their’s.

Belfast had gone into the match as leaders of the Elite League, refreshed after a night off on Saturday.

And they looked value for their position - they are a slick transition team that can get numbers forward in the blink of the eye.

On a several occasions, they outnumbered Steelers on a break away.

The game was only four minutes old when Steve Goertzen couldn’t keep possession and Jeff Mason set Darryl Lloyd clear. He crashed the puck across Doyle and into the net.

Doug Christiansen’s old team had other chances to improve on that scoreline, Dustin Whitecotton going close and dangerman Kevin Saurette failing to finish off promising moves.

Giants dropped a clanger though at 16;44, with Jeff Scwez failing to clear the slot and inviting Stefan Meyer ample time to forehand the puck home for 1-1.

But even then Steelers were leaving the back door open...Szwez breaking away and ricochetting off the bar.

Steelers had Doyle to thank for keeping them in the game in a roller-coaster middle session.

Referee Michael Hicks awarded two penalty shots to Giants, but Szwez and then Gareth Roberts both failed to get past him.

In open play, there seemed little between these evenly-matched sides, but you’d have bet on the Irish scoring one of their free shots.

Doyle didn’t rest on his laurels after, either, saving another Szwez shot through traffic.

It was a painful period for skipper Goertzen, who had to try and skate off a painful puck injury.

His team, though, were beginning to find some spaces, chiefly through the ingenuity of Nate Dicasmirro and a high number of penalties against Giants.

The game appeared to be heading towards a regulation time deadlock, with both sides failing to captalise on the meagre amount of quality chances.

But finally the breakthrough came for Sheffield.

Drew Fata motored the puck into the opposition territory and the Brits took over...Jason Hewitt setting up Jonathan Phillips for the game-winner.

Having beaten the division leaders, Steelers can now start to set their eyes on getting to the summit themselves.

*Steelers’ first meeting of the season with Fife, ended with a 4-1 victory at Kirkcaldy on Saturday.

Man of the match Rob Sirianni got Sheffield underway with strikes at 12;29 and 32.45, followed six minutes later by a Steve Goertzen third on the powerplay at 38.42.

Rok Pajic got one back, but Fata’s 56th minute goal ensured the points came back down south.