ICE HOCKEY: Angry Smith condemns ‘scumbag’ Steelers fans

Sheffield Steelers v Dundee Stars
Sheffield Steelers v Dundee Stars
Have your say

Sheffield Steelers 5

Dundee Stars 4

STEELERS owner Tony Smith delivered an extraordinary rant on “scumbag” fans who falsely tried to get into the Sheffield rink on concessionary rates.

Smith said “low life scroungers” were trying to get in on the cheap - something that made him “feel sick”.

While genuine fans were paying full whack, Smith talked about ejecting these “scammers” by the door or, possibly from the roof.

After such a high-octane outburst, in the programme, I wondered if more surprises were in store.

There were. Dundee were 2-0 up in three minutes!

In the first shift, they outnumbered Sheffield in the defensive zone, Matt Baxter scoring.

Rod Sarich thought he’d made a statement with a big hit on American visitor Pat Bowen, but the check failed to halt the rush and Tristan Harper connected for 2-0.

There was a let-off when Stars wing Mike Wirll missed a sitter.

Matt Stephenson thought he’d got one back but goalie Nic Riopel - the league’s top netminder - saved.

Drew Fata thundered an effort into the bar and a more energetic Tom Sestito just failed to convert a chance.

Sestito got a big hit on the boards but Steelers’ ill luck near goal continued in the second session as Jeff Legue and Shawn Limpright hit posts.

The dam was breached at 33;40, when Colin Shields clipped in on the back-post and 60 seconds later a Fata effort was completed by Steve Goertzen. The 2-0 middle period seemingly put the iceSheffield team in the driving seat towards a final period win and second place in the League.

Jonathan Phillips started to make that possible. First he robbed Sam McCluskey of the puck, set up Jason Hewitt, before tucking home himself.

Tempers were raised at 43;51 with Goertzen trying to bash Stars’ goalie and Sestito offering similar.

But a blue line shot Bowen sailed under Geoff Woolhouse for 3-3 at 52;29.

A frustrated Legue slashed Bowen earning a penalty, leading to Stars nicking a 4-3 lead through Sami Rhyanen.

Sheffield hooked their goalie and levelled with 75 seconds left through Tylor Michel.

Riopel then stupidly pulled his goal off the moorings...and Limpright won the game in overtime on the resulting penalty shot.