Ice Hockey: Steelers ace Legue banned for two games

JEFF Legue's out-of-character act of petulance as Sheffield Steelers slipped to a 7-1 defeat to Cardiff Devils has earned him a two-match ban.

Legue chucked his helmet on the ice, made an obscene gesture to a linesman and threw a water bottle into the Devils' bench near the end of last Wednesday's game at the Arena.

His actions incensed coach Ben Simon, who also criticised Rob Globke for taking a 10-minute misconduct in the potentially season-defining game against the division's top club.

And Simon will be even less pleased to hear that the Elite League reviewed Legue's actions and today extended a match ban to a two game suspension.

Legue misses tonight's match against Edinburgh, but more importantly, the trip to Coventry Blaze on Sunday.

Steelers need their play-making forward available, particlarly on the Power Play, if they are to improve their chances of overhauling Devils in the chase for the title.


* Last night, Nottingham Panthers kept their title hopes alive with their first win in Belfast in 2 years. (3-2 after penalty shoot out).

They are now level on points with Sheffield in joint third place.

Having been two up with seven minutes to go Notts then found themselves level at the end of regulation.

A goalless overtime period saw the game to a penalty shootout, with Panthers scoring two of their three whilst Giants could only manage the one.

Having missed the last 23 games Colin Hemingway made a return to the Giants line up but he was unable to help his team to a win despite netting the Giants first penalty shot.

Both teams created plenty of chances in the first session with most of the chances going to the home team. However, the only goal came for the visitors as David-Alexandre Beauregard was on hand 13.48 to slot home.

The Giants again had the upper hand in the second period but they were unable to find a way past Kowalski in the visitors net. The Panthers found the net for a second time as Rob Bellamy netted with a powerplay goal at 30.46.

Belfast were throwing everything at the Panthers net in the third period in an effort to get back into the game.

They finally got a breakthrough at 52.54 as Mark Garside scored to give the home side some hope in the remaining minutes.

With 19 seconds, remaining Panthers had two men sent to the sin bin and with Murphy also pulled the Giants had a 6 on 3 powerplay and with 10 seconds on the clock Simon Lambert got the game tying goal.

Both teams had chances in the overtime period Belfast started on the powerplay and as that ended Panthers went on the powerplay. However, despite this neither team could find a winner and it was to be penalty shots that would decide the winner.

Giants had the advantage after the first shots as Jade Galbraith saw his shot saved and Colin Hemmingway on his return scored for the Giants. Ryan and Beauregard for Panthers scored whilst Colin's brother Brett and Simon Lambert saw their efforts saved.

Got a view? Leave a comment below.

Follow The Star on Twitter and Facebook:

For breaking news and sport follow The Star on Twitter at and Facebook at

JOIN THE STAR READER PANEL: The Star is YOUR newspaper, so tell us what you think about it and what you want to see - CLICK HERE.

Don't miss our daily pull-outs - only in the The Star: Monday Star Sport, Tuesday Class Act; Wednesday Business; Thursday Grassroots; Friday Time Out; Saturday Retro. Subscribe to The Star - CLICK HERE


Subscribe to The Star or Green 'Un

2011 SPORTS CALENDAR - your online guide to all the dates for this year's top sporting events.

Visit our Matchday Centre for free live coverage of every match

Football headlines. Football gossip. Blades news Owls news Reds news. Millers news. More rugby. More boxing. Sports columnists.

All sport categories

Watch Premiership highlights, international football, golf, tennis, darts and much more - click here