Non-League football: Hallam extend away record to 12 games

Hallam manager Ryan Hindley points the way
Hallam manager Ryan Hindley points the way
Have your say

Division One promotion rivals Hallam and AFC Emley shared the spoils in a honourable 1-1 draw at the Welfare Ground - in a game that saw three red cards brandished in quick succession in the second half.

Both managers will be reasonably happy with the outcome; Emley take their undefeated run to 12 games in all outings, while Hallam extended their unbeaten away league record also to 12 games.

Hallam enjoyed the early dominance, only to fall behind on 10 minutes against the run of play through Jordan Corduri’s deflected long-range strike.

Ryan Hindley side again started well in the second half but this time got the goal their play deserved on 53 minutes.

Michael Blythen showed some neat skill to flick the ball over a defender, before coolly lifting a shot over the advancing Emley ‘keeper Adam Lawlor.

Moments later came the first dismissal. Hallam’s Dan Mullooly held off Michael Tunnacliffe as he challenged for the ball but caught the Emley man with a swinging arm - sparking a mini-brawl.

Mullooly was shown the red card to leave Hallam down to ten men.

It became nine versus ten on 70 minutes when Emley’s Alex Hallam and Hallam’s Elliott Simpson were involved in an off-the-ball tangle and both were sent off.

Hallam almost snatched all three points late on when Jed Phillips forced a great save out of Lawlor but in the end a draw was about the right result.

Elsewhere in the Division, Penistone Church maintained their place in the play-off positions with a convincing 3-0 home win against Knaresborough Town.

Daniel Joynes had Church in front inside the first minute with Steve Kenworthy doubling the lead on 34 minutes. Oliver Fearon wrapped up the points with his ninth of the season 11 minutes from time to make it just one defeat in the last 18 league games.

Dronfield Town came away from Glasshoughton Welfare with a point from a 1-1 draw. Blake Owen edged the visitors in front on the hour only to be pegged back with 15 minutes remaining.

In the Premier Division, Handsworth Parramore climbed up to fourth - and to within four points of leaders Tadcaster Albion, with two games in hand - after completing a league double over Rainworth MW following a 2-1 victory at Sandy Lane.

Gareth Griffiths put the Ambers in front on the half hour mark with a close range header. Richard Adams then saw his header cleared off the line, while Danny Buttle rattled the post before Handsworth finally grabbed a second on 82 minutes.

Alex Rippon pounced on a loose ball for what proved to be the winner, as Rainworth pulled one back deep into stoppage time through a Jack Barnett free-kick.

Parkgate were close to pulling off the shock result of the day against title chasing Tadcaster Albion at Green Lane.

The Steelmen had lost the last eight outings but rocked the leaders on 23 minutes when new signing Jordan Turner scored with a neat finish inside the near post after turning his marker on the edge of the box.

And Steve Adams’ side were just three minutes away from holding onto a famous win when the visitors equalised through a Jimmy Beadle penalty. The point, though, was enough to take Parkgate out of the bottom two.

Out-of-sorts Worksop Town remain second despite a 3-1 defeat at Clisptone that left the Tigers without a win in the last five outing in all competitions.

Kyle Jordan pulled one back for Worksop with a 67th minute penalty but it proved no more than a consolation effort.

Staveley MW went down to a surprise 2-0 home defeat against rock bottom Brigg Town, while Retford United lost out 2-0 at Nostell MW and had their goalkeeper sent-off after just three minutes.

Athersley Recreation fought out a goalless home draw against Armthorpe Welfare in a contest between two much improved teams of late.