Worksop finish as region’s top dogs after win over Welfare

Have your say

Worksop Parramore won 3-2 at Armthorpe Welfare to ensure they finished as the region’s top team with a fourth place finish in the Premier Division.

Jordan Eagers finished off a good passing move to give Parramore a 24th minute lead, which they doubled five minutes later through Oliver Fearon.

Armthorpe were back in it when they pulled one back on the stroke of half-time through an Adam Lee penalty.

And it was Lee that grabbed the home sides equaliser on 70 minutes after latching onto a throughpass.

But the joy was short lived when just a minute later Nathan Forbes-Swindells curled a 20-yard free-kick over the defensive wall for the winner.

Parkgate finished the season without a win in the last eight after a 2-2 draw against Thackley at Green Lane, with all the goals coming in the first 45 minutes.

Maltby Main rounded off the season nicely with a ninth away win of the season coming from behind to beat Long Eaton United 3-1.

Retford United beat Garforth Town 2-1 at Cannon Park to finish the season with four wins in the last six, with first half goals from Reece Thompson and Sam Jones with Garforth pulling one back early in the second half.

Staveley MW ended the season on a high note beating Lincoln Moorlands Railway 5-1 to end a run of three defeats on the spin.

The Miners were 3-0 up inside 26 minutes with goals from Ryan Watters, Matt Thorpe and Jamie Smith.

Lincoln were given a glimmer of hope when they pulled one back just before the break but Ryan Damms restored the three goal cushion from the penalty spot four minutes after the interval, after which Michael Trench added a fifth.

Hallam ended what has been a very disappointing season with a 4-0 defeat at Clipstone with all the goals coming inside the opening half hour.

Goalkeeper turned striker Lewis Naylor rescued a point for Dronfield Town with an equaliser seven minutes from time in a 1-1 draw against Pontefract Collieries at Stonelow Road.

Rossington Main rounded off what has been an excellent second half of the season with a 3-1 win at Selby Town.

AFC Emley finished the season unbeaten in seven after a 1-1 draw against Shirebrook Town where Paul Sykes equaliser on the stroke of half time cancelled out the visitors’ 14th minute opener.

n Dinnington Town have resigned from the NCEL following their final game of the season, a 2-0 defeat at Phoenix Park against Knaresborough Town.

A club statement confirmed that the “club as you know it will cease to operate will immediate effect”, signalling the end of an era for long-serving boss Steve Toyne.

The news comes just a week after the club’s ground suffered another attack from vandals, and just days after two long serving players - striker Liam Cartledge and defender Andy Sykes - had announced their retirement.