Woeful Steels slip up again

editorial image
Have your say

Stocksbridge continued their poor start to the Evo-Stik NPL season with a 2-0 home defeat against Buxton in a dour game, leaving Chris Willcock’s men with just a point to show from their opening four games.

Steels failed to muster a single shot on target in a woeful performance, gifting Buxton, who were little better, both goals.

The visitors went ahead on 14 minutes through a freak goal, Brett Lovell’s firm clearance 22 yards out striking Callum Keane and bouncing back into the empty net past the stranded Peter Collinge.

Steels ought to have equalised just before the break when, from a deep Laurance Hunter free-kick, Matt Carr flicked his header wide at the back post.

The home side’s best chance in the second half came with a free-kick in a good position just outside the area, but substitute Kevin Sansay blasted the ball into the defensive wall.

Buxton wrapped up the points with another gift of a goal in the first minute of stoppage time, Steve Istead gleefully intercepting a wayward pass across goal just outside the area too run on and blast a shot past Collinge.

Sheffield FC came away from Belper Town with a good point from a 2-2 draw, though it might well had been all three points had Club not had Jamie Hadfield sent off in the second half when leading 2-0.

Vill Powell gave Sheffield a 24th-minute lead in a breakaway. Matt Roney doubled the advantage on the hour mark, tucking the ball away to round off a good Sheffield attacking move.

But within a minute Hadfield was sent off after conceding a penalty that Colin Marrison duly converted to reduce the arrears. With 13 minutes remaining Belper snatched a share of the spoils when, from a contentious free-kick, Simon Harrison lifted a shot over Nicky Draper in the Sheffield goal.

Elsewhere, Frickley Athletic suffered a fourth straight defeat losing 4-0 at North Ferriby United, while Worksop Town were also beaten, 3-0 at Grantham Town where they had defender Stuart Ludlam sent-off just past the hour with score at 1-0. Matlock Town also went down, losing 3-0 at home by Rushall Olympic.

In the Baris NCEL. Parkgate extended their unbeaten run to six games with a 2-0 win at Armthorpe Welfare.

Chris Wood knocked in a rebound to give the Steelmen a 33rd-minute lead before grabbing his second with a near-post header five minutes after the break.

Maltby Main picked up their first league win of the season beating Nostell MW 2-0 away with goals from Gavin Gould and Sam Foulds.