Win wait goes on but Brown foils Warnock

Have your say

PHIL Brown is still waiting for his first win as Preston North End manager after eight games but was well pleased with the point against Neil Warnock’s Championship-topping QPR at Deepdale.

“I’m pleased with the performance, I guess, but we’re in the business of winning and we’ve not done that again,” Brown said after the 1-1 draw.

Heidar Helguson opened the scoring for Rangers in the first half but Barry Nicholson equalised after 64 minutes and Warnock said he was pleased with the point against the bottom-placed club.

“I’ve got no complaints, that’s a very good point in the end,” he said as their lead was cut to five points.

New into second place went Nottingham Forest who overtook Cardiff City, the team they beat 2-1 at the City Ground.

Former Bluebirds striker Robert Earnshaw got the winner for Forest who have a game in hand on Rangers and are five points behind. Cardiff are a point further back.

Peter Whittingham’s penalty for Cardiff had equalised Wes Morgan’s first-half header.

“It was a pretty open game and we felt we should have got something from the game - it was frustrating,” said Cardiff boss Dave Jones.

“We certainly shouldn’t have gone in at half-time 1-0 down. We started very well and after the first 20 minutes we could have been at least two goals to the good.

“In the end the game could have gone either way. Goals change games and perhaps we didn’t have the composure that was required to make the most of the situations we created.”

Forest boss Billy Davies said: “We played some wonderful football, created a lot of chances and thoroughly deserved to take three points. The game was a great advert for Championship football.

Two sides in the play-off places, Leeds and Norwich, drew 2-2 at Elland Road with Davide Somma coming off the bench to score with his first touch to save Leeds.

Leeds had taken a 16th-minute lead through Luciano Becchio’s header only for Norwich to hit back through Henri Lansbury and Wes Hoolahan.

Ipswich-Hull and Reading-Watford were both 1-1, Scunthorpe-Derby was 0-0.