Steels pay the price for poor home show

Have your say

Stocksbridge Park Steels slumped to a 1-0 home defeat against Buxton, which saw the visitors end a run if five defeats on the spin to lift them off the foot of the Evo-Stik Premier Division.

Steels can have few complaints over the outcome in what was a poor performance in which they rarely tested Bucks goalkeeper Scott Hartley, who was making his 300th appearance for the club.

The goal that proved to be winner came after just three minutes. A cross was only half-cleared as far as Keiran Lugsden on the edge of the box. He took a touch before thumping the ball past Ben Scott in the Steels goal.

Mark Ward headed wide moments later, while at the other end Colin Marrsion cleared off the line to prevent Buxton extending their lead.

In Stocksbridge’s best spell, Brett Lovell had a header hooked clear. Then Hartley saved at full stretch when a Lovell header deflected off a defender. Ward went close with a 22-yard free-kick that the keeper saved at full stretch. Buxton almost had a second on 77 minutes but Scott made a brilliant reaction save to push away Martin Pemberton’s close rang strike.

Sheffield FC picked up their first away point of the season in a 1-1 draw at Goole AFC. Conor Higginson’s cool finish gave Club a seventh-minute lead but they were pegged back two minutes before the break when former Sheffield played Vill Powell equalised from the penalty spot.

Elsewhere, Lincoln Adams rescued a point for Frickley Athletic at Whitby Town with a 90th-minute equaliser to force a 1-1 draw.

Worksop were held to a goalless draw at home against North Ferriby United. The Tigers had the better of the chances with Mark Hudson hitting the post and Jamie Jackson having a cross-shot cleared off the line.

Staveley MW moved two points clear at the top of the Baris NCEL after a 1-0 win over ten-man Maltby Main

Parkgate came from a goal down at the break to win 2-1 at Nostell while Armthorpe Welfare lost 2-1 at home against Barton Town Old Boys.