Steels denied by rally but Club back on track

Worksop Town v Matlock Town.  Pictured is Leon Mettam.
Worksop Town v Matlock Town. Pictured is Leon Mettam.
Have your say

Stocksbridge Park Steels hopes of a first league win in 10 games were thwarted by a Witton Albion fightback as the visitors recovered from a 2-0 half-time deficit to draw 2-2.

It left manager Darren Schofield bitterly disappointed at the outcome. He said: “We played reasonably well in the first half particularly in the first 20 minutes. But in the second half it became scrappy and we’ve conceded two poor goals”

Steels went in front on 20 minutes when James Knowles volleyed in a Liam Royles cross. Jack Ward made a superb point-blank range block to deny the visitors an equaliser then on 34 minutes Stocksbridge doubled their lead as Danny South headed home at a corner.

Witton were back in the game seven minutes after the interval through Jonathan Dawson’s a low drive after the ball had rebounded kindly into his path.

Chris Bettney missed a great chance to restore the two goal cushion, blasting over when free in the area.

It proved a crucial miss as Witton levelled on 74 minutes, Kyle Wilson tucking away the loose ball after Ward had made a fine one-handed save. It could have been worse as the visitors hit the post 10 minutes from time.

Sheffield FC got back in the winning groove with a 3-1 triumph at managerless Bedworth United to end a run of three defeats.

“I’m delighted with the three points,” said a happy Club boss Ian Whitehorne. “There wasn’t a great deal in it at the start, but we gradually upped ourselves and got our noses in front.

“Second half we were never really in doubt, they huffed and puffed a bit, but Andy Gascoigne had an outstanding half and his goal is as good as you are likely to see anywhere.”

Sheffield were in front on six minutes through Zeph Thomas with an easy chance in front of goal after James Gregory had squared the ball.

Bedworth hit back to level seven minutes later. Simeon Williams charged into the area but as Tom Burgin slid in tackle the ball flew off the defender into the roof of the net.

The goal lifted the home side and Rob Poulter twice came to Sheffield’s rescue with point-blank saves. Thomas ought to have restored Club’s lead but fired wide after being put in on goal. However, Sheffield were back in front on 26 minutes. Gregory thumped a shot against the bar and when it rebounded out to Warren Burrell he drilled a shot through a crowded area for 2-1.

The lead was increased just past the hour. Gascoigne showed his strength to get past a couple defenders before scoring with a powerful shot from a tight angle.

Worksop Town pulled off one of the shocks of the FA Cup second qualifying round, winning 5-3 at Skrill North Stalybridge Celtic.

Leon Mettam opened the scoring on 16 minutes with Jack Muldoon lashing home the second from 25 yards two minutes later. Tom Denton headed the third and although the hosts pulled one back, Shane Clarke tapped home for 4-1 on the stroke of half-time. Mettam’s good finish four minutes after the break stretched the lead, and although Celtic rallied to pull two goals back the Tigers who roared into the next round.

Frickley Athletic suffered a shock 3-1 exit at home to Northern League Marske Town, Matlock Town went out 1-0 at Carton Town and Buxton crashed 5-1 at home to North Ferriby United.