Steels’ agony goes on with another home loss

editorial image
Have your say

Stocksbridge Park Steels ‘woes continued with a 3-2 defeat against Ilkeston FC at Bracken Moor.

It left Steels anchored in the bottom four following a run which has seen them pick up just a single point from the last seven games.

Not for the first time, it was Darren Schofield’s men that went in front after just three minutes, Nathan Joynes sending the keeper the wrong way from the penalty spot after Danny South had clumsily been bundled over by Aaron Webster.

Stocksbridge have struggled to hold onto leads this season and this time they gifted Ilkeston the equaliser on 11 minutes. Brett Bowden-Lovell’s back pass falling straight into the path of Kane Richards to slot home.

The visitors edged in front on 26 minutes edged in front, Joe Maguire out-jumping the defence to head home a cross. Eight minutes before the break Steels were back on level terms Nick Swirad guiding a header into the top corner after Bowden Lovell had nodded a free-kick back into the middle. Ilkeston grabbed what proved to be the winner inside the first minute of the second half Danny Gordon latching onto a loose ball to score from the edge of the box.

In late rally there was shout for a second penalty when Chris White was pushed to the ground, while Will Senior and James Knowles were denied by last ditch clearances.

Worksop Town’s patchy home form let them down again with a 3-2 reversal against Witton Albion. The visitors went in front on 22 minutes when David Walker capitalised on a Phil Roe error. The Tigers fought back when Conor Higginson equalised with a fine 22-yard effort on 35 minutes before Roe made amends putting Worksop in front just past the hour direct from a free-kick. But Walker squared the game once more from close range on 69 minutes with Joshua Hancock hitting a 30-yard effort into the top corner for the winner seven minutes later.

Frickley Athletic beat Stafford Rangers 2-0 at home. Luke Hinsley gave the hosts a fifth minute lead but it took until the 87th minute before Korey Dyer-Stewart sealed the points.

Matlock Town eased to a 4-1 win at struggling Drolysden. Daryl Thomas, with a brace of penalties either side of the break, put the Gladiators in control and although the home side pulled one back Corey Gregory restored the two-goal cushion while Danny Holland added a fourth in stoppage time.

Buxton came away from leaders AFC Fylde with a 2-2 draw but will feel disappointed after twice leading through Leon Osbourne and Lee Morris.

n Sheffield FC won 2-1 at Evo-Stik North side Padiham in the FA Vase preliminary round to set up a trip to Ashton United.

Club would have gone in at the break leading had it not been for the agility of the home side’s 17-year-old keeper Marcus Burgess, who denied both James Gregory and Andy Gascoigne.

The breakthrough finally arrived on 75 minutes when Ben Turner turned in a Steve Woolley cross. Joel Purkiss crucially doubled the lead seven minutes later after latching onto Stuart Ludlam’s long ball as Padiham pulled one back three minutes from time when Martin Parkes poked home from close range. The game ended on a sour note for Club with Gascoigne shown a straight red card, though there was still time for Matt Roney to be denied scoring Sheffield’s third as Burgess made yet another fine save.