Steelmen thump hapless Borough 4-1 in FA Cup

On the ball: Ashley Worsfold set up Parkgate's first goal
On the ball: Ashley Worsfold set up Parkgate's first goal
Have your say

Parkgate, Staveley Miners Welfare and Armthorpe Welfare were the region’s only teams to make it through to the FA Cup first qualifying round, with Hallam, Dinnington Town and Maltby Main amongst those that fell at the first hurdle.

Parkgate will be hoping their 4-1 victory over Baris NCEL Division One side Grimsby Borough will kick-start their season after losing the first three outings.

The Steelmen went ahead after 14 minutes with Chris Wood firing home from an Ashley Worsfold cross. Wood doubled the tally on the half hour mark heading in a cross from new boy Jake Outram.

The home side piled on the pressure at the start of the second half with Worsfold hitting the side netting then the upright netting, while Nathan Forbes-Swindells was denied by the Grimsby keeper.

However, the third goal arrived on 57 minutes from a neat chip by Forbes-Swindells over the advancing Fenty. Three minutes later Worsfold got his reward for a hard working performance with the fourth goal. The visitors, managed a consolation 11 minutes from time through Nicky King.

Staveley enjoyed a second successive victory over Premier Division rivals Winterton Rangers knocking the Scunthorpe side out 4-0 at Inkersall Road a week after beating the visitors 2-1 in the league.

The home side broke the deadlock through a Ryan Damms penalty after Rangers keeper had brought down Joe Thornton. The visitors were reduced to 10 men on 54 minutes with Liam Nelthorpe being shown a straight red for a reckless challenge on Miners midfielder Andrew Fox.

Staveley began to take control with their advantage and it came as no surprise when Damms made it 2-0 on 64 minutes after an excellent pass from Chris Fawcus had split open the Rangers defence. Substitute Simon Barraclough set-up the third on 73 minutes pulling the ball back for Martin Foster to steer home and put the tie beyond the visitors. Damms put the icing on the cake completing his hat-trick in the final minute with his second penalty.

Armthorpe Welfare scored a last gasp winner to go through 3-2 at Baris Premier Division rivals Nostell MW. The win tasted all the more sweet as it came just a week after Des Bennett’s men had been beaten 5-2 in the league at Nostell.

Armthorpe should have taken the lead on two minutes but Henry Sibenge hit the post from the penalty spot. Sibenge made amends a minute later crossing for Leo Fortune-West to head home from six yards. The visitors doubled their advantage when Adam Lee beat the keeper to a long free-kick to score with a looping header. Nostell fought back scoring twice inside the first 15 minutes of the second half through Matt Denton and Fidel Mhlolo to restore parity. But just when it seemed a replay would be necessary up popped James Walker to drill home a low 22-yard free-kick with seconds to spare.

William Rowley scrambled home an equaliser 12 minutes from time to earn Rossington Main a 1-1 draw at Silsden and replay at Oxford Street on tomorrow. The hosts had taken the lead two minutes before the break when Peter Hanson followed up from his own penalty kick after Main keeper Lee Appleby had saved his initial effort.

Hallam could have few complaints over their 4-0 exit at Scarborough Athletic. Tony Hackworth gave the home side a third minute lead. The Blues then twice went close to equalising with Matt Thompson firing over when he ought to have hit the target, while Steve Wankiewicz headed inches over from a Ben Kistell corner. However, Ryan Blott extended the home sides lead on 25 minutes and only some fine saves from Hallam keeper Lewis Naylor kept the score down until Scarborough added to the score with two goals inside the last two minutes from Curtis Bernard and Ant Lynam.

Dinnington Town lost out 2-0 at Premier Division Pickering Town. Dinnington held out until two minutes before the break when John Andrews nudged the Pikes in front. The home side sealed the win on 63 minutes Kingsley Wetherald knocking in the rebound after his penalty kick had been saved.

Maltby Main went out 2-1 at home to NCEL Division One side Glasshoughton Welfare despite taking a 10th minute lead through Sean Greaves. Maltby were not at their best and were punished in the second half for some sloppy defending. Firstly Darrell Young fired home the equaliser on 63 minutes with Steve Forgione slotting home the winner from a corner deep into stoppage time.

Askern Villa went out 2-1 at Premier Division Thackley; Nicky Matthews gave the home side the lead with Dean Walters adding the second. Villa reduced the deficit through Jay Rollins two minutes into stoppage time but it came too late.

Retford United lost for the first time in four games this season beaten 2-0 at home by Gresley.

AFC Emley went out 4-1 at home against Hall Road Rangers. Michael Bettney, with a header, and Neil Towler put Rangers 2-0 up before the break. Towler added a third 10 minutes into the second half with Adam Cane hitting the fourth to wrap up the tie 20 minutes from time. Emley managed to pull one back in stoppage time with David Heagney tucking away a rebound but it was scant consolation.

In Division One, Handsworth were beaten for the first time this season going down 5-2 against Worksop Parramore to end a run of four wins on the spin in all competitions.

Gavin Davis and Tom Nolan gave Parramore’s a 2-0 lead inside the first 20 minutes. Tom Roebuck reduced the arrears on 27 minutes only for Davis to restore the two goal cushion five minutes later. Lee Hill hauled Handsworth back in the game on the hour mark. But Parramore’s responded quickly once more with Nolan making it 4-2 four minutes later before Scott Preece sealed the points with the fifth to send the visitors to the top of the table.

Worsbrough Bridge Athletic continued their good start with a 2-2 draw away at Teversal. Lee Garside gave Worsbrough a fifth minute lead before the home side hit back with two goals in three minutes through Sean Dickinson and Mark Robinson. But Gareth Hunter struck just before the hour to restore parity and earn Bridge a richly deserved share of the spoils.

TUESDAY - League Cup Second Round: Long Eaton United v Handsworth. Wilkinson Sword Trophy Second Round: Grimsby Borough v Worsbrough Bridge Athletic.

Division One: AFC Emley v Handsworth, Hemsworth MW v Worksop Parramore.

WEDNESDAY - League Cup Second Round: Shirebrook Town v Maltby Main.