Spireites take point in nervous fight at the bottom

A meeting of two sides both desperate to win and desperate not to lose was perhaps always doomed to end goalless.

By The Newsroom
Sunday, 27th March 2016, 9:44 pm
Updated Friday, 1st April 2016, 6:42 pm
Chesterfield vs Fleetwood Town - Lee Novak watches his glancing header go past the post - Pic By James Williamson
Chesterfield vs Fleetwood Town - Lee Novak watches his glancing header go past the post - Pic By James Williamson

Chesterfield and Fleetwood were two such outfits on Saturday at the Proact, knowing how important a win would be, and how damaging a defeat could be.

The Spireites created some good chances but lacked the killer instinct, Fleetwood got into promising positions and were found wanting in the composure department, or didn’t find the final ball.

The result maintained their respective League One positions, Chesterfield 18th, five points clear of the drop zone and Fleetwood directly below them, two points back.

So a point probably suited Danny Wilson’s men better.

A swirling wind and driving rain made life difficult at times, but it was the two sides’ inability to really test either goalkeeper that told the story.

Niggly and scrappy throughout, the game saw more entertainment in the first half than the second, with possession and chances even.

Gboly Ariyibi had Chesterfield on the attack from the kick-off, running right down the middle and drawing a foul from Jimmy Ryan 40 yards from goal. Ryan was yellow carded but the free-kick came to nothing.

That was the first of four cautions before the break, but the real talking point came on 11 minutes when Lee Novak went to ground under the challenge of goalkeeper Chris Maxwell.

Referee Nigel Miller decided it was a dive by the Chesterfield striker, and promptly booked him.

The best chance of the first half saw Tommy Lee play the ball out to Drew Talbot and he flicked on to Jay O’Shea, who in turn found Ollie Banks and he curled just over.

David Henen was the biggest threat for the visitors and came close to supplying two chances for team-mates, but saw his good work undone by defensive blocks.

The second half saw little in the way of excitement as neither side were willing to throw caution to the wind.

Henen fired just off target from 20 yards and O’Shea blasting over the bar.

Some good work from Ariyibi put Chesterfield in a good position high up the field, before Banks crossed brilliantly, Novak inches away from connecting six yards out.

That was the tale of Chesterfield’s afternoon, so close but never really troubling Maxwell.

the teams

Chesterfield: Lee 7, O’Neil 7, Talbot 7, Anderson 7, Hird 7, Ariyibi 6, Liddle 6, Banks 5, Herd 5 (Campbell-Ryce 46 6), Novak 6 (Slew 88), O’Shea 6 (Ebanks-Blake 80). Not used: Humphreys, Raglan, Chapman, Orrell.

Fleetwood: Maxwell 7, Jordan 7, Bell 6, Ryan 6, Forbes 6, Hunter 6, Ball 7, Nilsson 7, Scougall 5 (Jonsson 83), Grant 5 (Cole 60), Henen 7 (Deacon 70). Not used: Pond, Nirennold, Haughton, Gogic.

Referee: Nigel Miller

Attendance: 6,435 (153 away).