Shelley in new injury blow for Doncaster

DONCASTER Men's Hockey Club enjoyed mixed fortunes in their National League Division Three (North) double-header.

Tuesday, 25th September 2007, 1:52 pm
Updated Wednesday, 26th September 2007, 9:37 am

They get got off the mark at the first time of asking at home by beating Nottingham Sikh Union 4-1.

The game was effectively over as a contest after just nine minutes as Doncaster, who finished third last season, raced into a 3-0 lead.

Newcomer Owen Leask scored the first two goals with the long-serving Jonathan Redfearn celebratiing his return from a spell in Australia by grabbing the third.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Doncaster continued to dominate, with the visitors hardly making any impression in attack, for the rest of the half without being able to add to their tally before the break.

The visitors came more into the game in the second half as Doncaster lost their earlier spakle, and pulled goal back midway through the half.

Doncaster suffered another blow when Tim Shelley suffered a facial injury which required hospital treatment.

But they finished strongly and forced a succession of late corners and Oliver Couttie netted a last minute goal after latching on to a blocked save.

The club, who drew their opener against Stourport, suffered their first defeat of the season when crashing 3-1 at Sheffield Hallam the following day.

Doncaster looked the better side for much of the first half and had the quality of their finishing matched that of the build-up they would have been ahead before the home side netted seven minutes before the interval.

To rub salt into Doncaster’s wounds they added a second in the last minute of the half - the ball glancing off keeper’s Ashley Watson’s stick.

Doncaster made a spirited effort to get back in the game after the break and pulled a goal back through Greg Vickers during a penalty corner routine.

They pressed for an equaliser only to see their hopes dashed by a third Sheffield goal during a goalmouth scramble seven minutes from time.